Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on 3d printers

Article on 3d printers

i feel like 3d printing is at the peak of the hype cycle right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Good reading. Some new options there and definitely some improvements in quality for cost...

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i feel like 3d printing is at the peak of the hype cycle right now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle
    I think that would apply well to a lot of paintball products also!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I think that would apply well to a lot of paintball products also!
    its an interesting way to look at technologies certainly, and more often then not, i think it fits.

Examples: mag feed is just tipping over into the trough. pump play on the other hand is at the end, maturity.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-08-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    That would include MagFed Paintball Guns. Loads of interest but, relatively low performance.

Doh, ninja posted. I can't get distracted by work in the middle of a post :P

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    I don't think it's hit the peak yet. There's still too much open ground to cover before disillusionment sets in.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Supports Inception Designs
    I like the stereo-lithography based Form 1. However, last I heard, they were being sued for patent infringement.

Wayne
    There are so many of them...

There are a few boutique pinball manufacturers that are printing topside 'toys' and parts on their machines. Pretty cool to see since in a run of 25 they don't have to mold anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I don't think it's hit the peak yet. There's still too much open ground to cover before disillusionment sets in.
    I was talking with an EE today at work about printing PCB trails into parts. He's already successfully sealed a PCB into a printed part with only the interface accessible to the outside. We have a 3DS extrusion machine at work and he has something at home that he messes with, not sure what type, but he is really good at troubleshooting them and making suggestions for good results.

- - - Updated - - -

There are so many of them...

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I was talking with an EE today at work about printing PCB trails into parts. He's already successfully sealed a PCB into a printed part with only the interface accessible to the outside. We have a 3DS extrusion machine at work and he has something at home that he messes with, not sure what type, but he is really good at troubleshooting them and making suggestions for good results.

printing electrical tracks is nothing new.