Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injection molding question, scaling

Wayne

Injection molding question, scaling

This is targeted at Simon, but anyone with EXP can chime in. Let's say I am molding a cylinder, 1" ID. I am using a material with a shrink rate of .005 in per inch. If I scale the part by 1.005 and have an inner feature with that diameter, is the ID of my part being held open/stretched until it is removed from the mold? At that point it will relax to the 1.000 ID desired?

Wayne
    Echo.

Beyond my area of expertise...keep this bolded for someone of use to see it

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    This is targeted at Simon, but anyone with EXP can chime in. Let's say I am molding a cylinder, 1" ID. I am using a material with a shrink rate of .005 in per inch. If I scale the part by 1.005 and have an inner feature with that diameter, is the ID of my part being held open/stretched until it is removed from the mold? At that point it will relax to the 1.000 ID desired?
    Short answer is yes.

Shrink can vary depending on the thickness of material in that area too.

In reality it can be very complex and depend on your geometry but that's the best way to start out looking at it.

You can also play around with shrink rates by playing with the temperature of the mold, and how quickly the part is ejected.

Wayne
    Thanks all. Working with another paintballer on making some new SMG68 clips.

You ever get your plastic machine finished, remember seeing it on MCB

Wayne
    Mechanically it is pretty much done. Need to hook up the power to the heater system. Was having a hard time finding a way to get the ball rolling on making parts, but this will be a good way to get things rolling. I also have a new toy on the way so I can make molds myself. The person who wants the clips is the one making this mold.

would love to see pics of it when your done. Love seeing home/shop build machines. Most of the machines in my shop are in house built purpose machines.

Wayne
    Once I learn HSM Express and have parts cutting on that I will be able to put a bow on the molder.