Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all CNC operators

Calling all CNC operators

our company will be soon getting a new toy... I'll just leave this video here

prepare for shock and awe

Last edited by BTAutoMag; 01-15-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

I remember using that or at least something similar at school, very cool when they get going

I've been using several of those fans for close to a year now. It works great. Word of warning though, limit it to the specified rpm and ramp it up in a 2 stages. Basically call the tool and turn it on at 2k so the blades can extend and then give it the full 12k. We blew our first one up by giving it 12k rpm right off the hop.

Thank you, I will be sure to do that

pretty neat

I have heard of chamfer tools as well that rely on the spindle rotation direction to actuate

basically keep the spindle ccw to keep the blades retracted, then go through a hole or slot and spin cw to extend the blades and debur the hole from the backside
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

^thats a click idea.

I also have heard of flexible drill bits that when used at certain speeds will "curve" in the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    pretty neat

I have heard of chamfer tools as well that rely on the spindle rotation direction to actuate

basically keep the spindle ccw to keep the blades retracted, then go through a hole or slot and spin cw to extend the blades and debur the hole from the backside
    These work well as long as the hole you are going through is large enough. We've used them for grip frame screw holes in the past.

Ive never used them or seen them used, pretty interesting concept

I would just be upset if the blades got stuck and ended up crashing the tool during the retract

just paranoid I suppose but that is the mentality I feel like you should have at all times in this trade
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Me being paranoid saved a set of Harley heads last week. There's a stop mid program where you have to move the heads on the fixture. program reset back to start of op instead of moving onto part 2. I stopped that lollipop about .100" from the fins.