Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting What CAD/CAM You Use

Posting What CAD/CAM You Use

I have been reading through this site for about week now. Great resource!

I think it would a great idea to post what software you use. This way it will be in one location and anyone can ask questions about that software including help and insight.

Please Post

How often use the Programs
    Which Version

I will kick it off

I use the following programs on a daily base.

CAD:
    NX8.5 & NX9 (testing)
    Inventor Pro 2013 & Inventor Pro 2014
    Solidworks Premium 2014

CAM:
    NX8.5 & NX9 (testing)
    HSMXpress for Inventor and Solidworks

I will updated as you guys post

go introduce yourself in the introduction section. Welcome to the boards
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

Welcome to the forums.

My CAD/CAM software experience that I am most familiar with is

Solidworks
    Tebis
    GibbsCAM

If you do introduce yourself to the Insiders there's a whole other very interesting area of stuff to check out

My CAD/CAM expeiriance is

Autocad
    Solid edge
    NX7.0
    Inventor
    MasterCAM X5

AutoCAD
    AutoCAD Electrical
    Microstation

At this point in my job, I rarely use any of them other than to verify someone else's design work.

I run
    Solidworks mainly. Everything from 2007 to 2014.
    Inventer as well. Same timeframe for versions.
    Autocad 2d

The reason for the using the different versions is the company I work for does work for many other companies and we need to match what software version they are using.

Keith, since you use Solidworks and Inventor how do you feel about them? Which do you prefer?

I am starting to get more and more annoyed with Solidworks as I build more complex things with assemblies and sub assemblies.

I also hear more and more good stuff about NX. Worth thinking about swapping?

I prefer NX over rest, Inventor next followed by Solidworks. Solidworks gets pissed off with bigger assemblies. I start rage and want to throw the monitor.

NX is stable fast does everything well (rendering, sheet metal, cam, cad, assemblies, routing etc. The customization is unbelievable custom menus, toolbars, commands the list goes on and on.

But with that comes a price, My one seat of NX was over $20,000 and NX has pretty steep learning curve

Andrew

If I have used many different CAD/CAM systems over the years (including CADDS5, CATIA, AutoCAD, Alias, Delcam, Tebis, Solidworks) do you think it would still be that hard to pick up NX? I have a friend that used to work with me at Tebis that now runs NX and loves it. Hardest part if I converted fully to it would probably be post processors for my machine set ups...

When I have spare time (lol) I am going to look into it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If I have used many different CAD/CAM systems over the years (including CADDS5, CATIA, AutoCAD, Alias, Delcam, Tebis, Solidworks) do you think it would still be that hard to pick up NX? I have a friend that used to work with me at Tebis that now runs NX and loves it. Hardest part if I converted fully to it would probably be post processors for my machine set ups...

When I have spare time (lol) I am going to look into it further.
    I have used used so many Programs I cant remember them all: Autocad, Cadkey, Albire, Featurecam, Mastercam, Solidworks, NX, Inventor, Gibbscam, Catia and Topsolid. I'm sure more I just forget them. I think NX had the longest/hardest curve of them because it's different (from anything else) some stuff is stupid simple or stuff is a pain compared to Inventor or Solidworks. I'm you wouldn't have a problem with it.

I didn't get any training either. I just figured everything out on my own and call Siemens if I really get stuck.

Depends on what kind of machines you have.. I have wrote my own post processors Setting up the templates isn't really fun either.

Mazak Variaxis 600 (5 axis) and Mazak Integrex 200 (millturn)