Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those tiny Humphreys solenoid pins

Wayne

Those tiny Humphreys solenoid pins

I dropped one. It was venting and as a last ditch I decided to take it apart and redo the lube. I dropped one of those teeny tiny pins that are magnetic. I heard it hit the base of my chair, which is metal, and after searching for about 15 minutes, have found nothing.

In an effort to keep from losing other bits, I put the noid back together. It seals and cycles, but takes about a second to reset now. When I'm done with my tasks for the day I'll think about how best to make a new one or just keep searching for it. The worst part is that the floor is a lighter shade carpet and I don't know if it's still on the chair, or made its way to the floor.

Wayne
    I found it! I found it! I found it!

Now let's just see if it all seals up when I put it back in...

LMAO. Glad you found it.

Supports Inception Designs
    those stupid pins are the bane of my existence when taking apart solenoids...i had a marq 6 that was missing one and it took me a week to finally figure out what the problem was...another reason why I don't believe anyone when they say "nah, I never took anything apart, it just quit working"...heh.

there was a guy on IOG back in the day who was making pins that would work in the noids, but i doubt he is doing it any longer. from what i heard they dont start out magnetic but pick it up after the solenoid has some use...i could be wrong though.

Wayne
    I got everything back together, no leaks. Put the frame half back on (this was right after I found it) and as soon as I aired it up, something was leaking. I put it away and was busy tearing down a pinball machine last night. Maybe tonight I will see if it will all go back together and be content enough to not leak from anywhere. The sad thing is that I'm going to just end up ripping out the guts, but that's for another day.

Sounds like something's pressing against the 'noid somewhere.

A friend of mine gave me his humphrey's noid. In a little plastic bag completly in pieces. Got it back togheter only thing left is the pin. Have just 1, are there more then 1 and where do they go?

Had this same problem last night. I broke a wire off the noid on a BKO.. took it apart to fix the wire.. little pin came out and now like basically boned trying to figure out how it goes back together :P
    BigEvilOnline.com - Home of the bad, bad automag people.

Wayne
    There might be different numbers depending on the make and model. Mine 'worked' with one, but had almost a full second of dwell instead of the blink of an eye.

They might not be easy to spot, but in the inner portion (not sure what to call it) there will be a few tiny holes near the center. The pilot/sprung plunger thing mates to it when their respective parts are bolted together.

Supports Inception Designs
    i knew i had a photo of this somewhere...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...4270583&type=3

if you look at the piece right in the center of the photo with the black o-ring that's where the small pins will fit in. there are two small holes on a diagonal that the pins fall into and when the parts are screwed together the piston head with the spring (you can see on the part on the bottom of the pic) will rest on top of the pins and hold them in place. it's kinda hard to see in this picture though since i wasn't trying to specifically get a photo of them.

i have seen noids with only one pin, and i have seen noids with two. when i had an issue with a noid where it was staying open too long (like an unusually long dwell like some of you have mentioned) i put a second pin in and it seemed to correct the problem (not sure if the customer had screwed with the noid beforehand and lost one where there was supposed to be two though...)

next time i take a noid apart i'll get some good pics of those stupid pins and how they fit in properly.