Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Educate me, please!

There seems to be a thing with Bob's gun's that if you get a good one they are amazing to shoot, but if you get a bad one you are better off selling it as quick as possible and moving on.

I was always concerned with the Insight engine and how it would handle paint based upon Bob's description of how it worked. I know some people that have had nightmares with theirs, and then others like Ryan where it has been fantastic.

Insider
    I suspect it has a lot to do with how it uses friction to dampen the initial part of the stroke

spoiler, not a great way of doing things

I just had a talk with bud about this topic and he said that he doesnt agree with low pressure operation at all and then explained why. Had alot to do with reliability. curious...
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

Insider
    He's not correct, (pressure has no inherent bias) and if you mean the Bud that designed the autococker, I wouldn't be taking reliability tips.

Lol. The autococker was based on the sheridan chassis. He often talks about how everyone back then helped with everyone elses guns and projects.

Then again there has always been a line in the sand with the high pressure vs the low pressure crowd
    Last edited by BTAutoMag; 01-18-2014 at 10:00 AM.

BTAutoMag: You know Bud Orr? Awesome.

Lurker: When I came back to paintball in late 2013 I fired up my brother's WGP Sniper that had not been used in 15 years and was more than 20 years old and it fired without problem and I played a game in terrible weather and it was great all day. Admittedly it had problems after I put it back together wrong and messed things up a bit, but I replaced some o-rings, got some help from Rod at CCM and got it back together. Other than things I caused and maybe some questionable o-rings that would have gone eventually it has been the most reliable thing in paintball I ever encountered.

Insider
    I love my sniper, too. But Snipers are a much more inherently reliable platform than true autocockers, because they don't rely on multiple thread length adjustments to time themselves. I'm not making any statements around quality, but I would suggest that the number of parameters autocockers need to have tuned by the end user (and the proclivity of those settings to jar themselves elsewhere) means that they're going to have more issues than, say, an automag.

Eventually they realized this with the trilogy, but it was way too late.

I'd be curious to hear Simon's thoughts on the Resurrection Autococker - my guess is that the type and location of threads used for adjustments were looked at, and the guided midblock system significantly prevents setting drift. I'd venture a guess that like for like, Resurrections will stay in time for far longer than not-Simonized cockers.

But, I'm largely being a jerk and pontificating now, which is not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    BTAutoMag: You know Bud Orr? Awesome.
    one day out of the blue we became really good friends and im still not sure how. We talked for an hour last night on the phone about the concepts of air flow and how learning about engines helps you build better paintball guns.

Lurker: You implied that anything touched by Bud Orr was unreliable, so I felt I had to say what I did, but those are all fair points in your follow up post and I am with you on them. In retrospect you did say autocockers specifically and you were just razzing BTAutomag so sorry if I seemed defensive.

BTAutoMag: So your online handle has the word "automag" in it and you are friends with Bud Orr? Wacky. When you are speaking with him next please pass on my compliments and thank him for all the work put into the Sniper II. My brother LOVES that marker and it gave him many years of joy. (My brother was patient and took careful shots, so a marker called "the sniper" suited him. He kicked ass on the field with stealth and patience.) My brother would let me use it sometimes and I thought it was great and have good memories using it. The thing was made over 20 years ago and I had a great time with it a few months ago.

After all that I remember we did have one problem, the IVG would vibrate with each shot and slow down the balls to the point of not being effective. Shoving a tiny o-ring in there fixed it though.

BigEvil: I was away from paintball for a very long time, but I know the name Bob Long from his tournament team days. Interesting he got into making markers. Having read about them I am very interested, thanks for starting this thread. Comments like Simon's seem to explain allot. Much hate or love for them online, no in-between it seems. One player I was lucky enough to met in returning to paintball (former Destiny player) swears by her Bob Long marker. (She shoots something other than an Insight though.)

A kid was trying to sell a BL marker and let me use it at a game back in early November. Nice of him. I made the inference it was 5 or 6 years old or more. He wanted $300 and I was under the impression they kept their value more than that, but no one else seemed to question the price, so I guess it was average in the market. Really liked it, especially the trigger. Perhaps the love or hate, no in-between opinions on BL products make for people being reasonable in estimating decline in value when something ages. Then again, what do I know? Nothing -Bob Long markers are new to me.

He has more to do with automags then you think... as Tom has more to do with cockers then you think.