Thread: Gloss Purple 3D splashed with matte silver splash on Black Inception cocker

Gloss Purple 3D splashed with matte silver splash on Black Inception cocker

Worked with Simon at WC, did the custom AXE. I picked 2 raw kits up to make one for me and my helper. Heres the first.

This was the third attempt at a 3D splash on various guns.

am I correct in saying that this effect is done by polishing and anodizing the marker, masking the splash, sandblasting, the re-anodizing?

brilliant work
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    am I correct in saying that this effect is done by polishing and anodizing the marker, masking the splash, sandblasting, the re-anodizing?

brilliant work
    You actually have to strip the gun after the first mask. Then media blast and then splash again(silver) dry and black base it. Thanks, looks much better in person.

If you lived closer I'd set up a photobooth for you
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

Looks awesome in the pictures so I'd love to see it in person!

That 3D effect with a multicam colour splash would be my ideal ano I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Looks awesome in the pictures so I'd love to see it in person!

That 3D effect with a multicam colour splash would be my ideal ano I think.
    Wait till the next one comes out, already have an idea of what im doing to it. The 3D will be a cosmos splash............

Quote Originally Posted by FX Anodizing View Post
    Wait till the next one comes out, already have an idea of what im doing to it. The 3D will be a cosmos splash............
    Now that sounds amazing. Is this similar to the way that DLX makes some of their gloss and matte finished bodies? They have a 3D feel to them also.

Don't get me wrong - anodizing is a dark art from my perspective. There are some REALLY skilled shops out there.

But I just don't get the resurgence of splash patterns. We moved from splash patterns to fades - those I can get behind. Then we had acid-washes, those are hot. But for some reason splash patterns just feel... dated.

Still - this is amazing work. I'd love to see how the 3D is pulled off in person!

It's nice but the color doesn't really resonate for me. The 3D is cool, just not feeling the color. I think the red base Eclipse-style splash looks better. I think you've done a DM12 I saw on PBNation that looked amazing anno wise. If I ever pick up another 09 SFL, I'll probably send it to you for that.

The issue I have with splash anno is that it hides detailed milling. I like the shape of the body, you just can't see the milling easily with the splash. Acid washes and fades allow you to see the milling better. Dye guns are great for splash annos since they don't have wild milling like Bob guns have had.

What do you use to mask thats safe for sandblasting/acid bath? Or do you anodize, dye, seal, mask, strip, beadblast, remove masking then re anodize?