Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gmore70 hits the nail on the head again

Paintball is insanely cheap compared to racing which I did for almost 10 years....I was lucky enough for my dad to pay for my racing career. In return I had to pay for my paintball which I started about the same time. It doesn't matter what "sport" or "hobby" you do, you can spend minimal amounts of money and have fun every once in a while or go all out and spend a lot of money. The local track a few mins from the folks house is where I got started at. Most of the guys running there might have $1000 tied up into their setup. Used chassis, used engine, one maybe 2 sets of tires for the whole season. They spend little or no time setting up the chassis. Do they have fun and are very competitive against each other? Yea and for most of them that's good enough. After 1 season running over there I started traveling, buying better stuff and putting more time into it. The next season I won the track championship and state championship. Then I started running down south in the Virginia state series, North Carolina state series, and the National series. Our costs, both time wise and monetarily, sky rocketed. For a national we would buy 4 sets of tires, spend hours prepping tires, setting every aspect of the kart on the scales, getting feedback and strategies from the other drivers in our group and when it was all said and done I would get a nice big eagle statue for winning. Did I have an amazing time and enjoy myself? Hells yes. Were there guys making money at it? Well there was a few big money races with nice payouts but it was more about the love of the sport. In the end I am fortunate to have parents that wanted me to succeed and have a good time. I could have kept racing local and done it rather inexpensively but my competitive nature forced me into having the best and spending the time to achieve it. The one thing this discussion leaves out is that, in my area anyhow, there is so much wooded land and everyone has or knows someone with 10, 100 or ever more acreage to go play on. I have more customers that come thru my shop that go out and play one their own land and never have to pay field fees or ridiculous paint prices. They come in here get setup with a 98, nice mask, hopper, a couple of co2 tanks and have less than $200 into it. Then they buy the cheap paint we have for $30 and split a half case with their buddy. So they can play for about $20/day shooting 1000 paintballs and having their 20 oz filled. Do they have fun? Yea. Do they have possibly more fun hanging out with their buddies every weekend for cheap without the possibility of showing up at a field once a month paying $60 and getting tore up by some one who set their $1k+ gun to 30 bps for no reason other than they can? Absolutely. With every "sport" or "hobby" there are ways to have a great time for rather cheap or you can go all gonzo and spend a small fortune....Some of my best times playing were on the field we set up on the 10 acres at the folks house. Hell I wish I could do it more often.

[/End Rant]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reposting my vlog cockerpunk. I am never sure if I should post my stuff here as you guys are all about making epic guns. Yup, I am still rocking my sniper...though I have been thinking about adding to my collecting..but camera gear...oh man...markers are sooooo much cheaper!

Since you were wondering, I took 10 months off on vlogs, but kept making in-game vids, writing articles and teaming up with Social Paintball. Part of the reason was I had a pretty harsh experience with a certain forum and it made me want to re-evaluate how I do my stuff. Nothing major, Im a big boy, but it really told me, that if I want to affect any real change, I need to learn more about making videos and paintball.

Now that its all done and I have my ground work done, expect more from me.

This is one freaking amazing sport with so much to offer for kids.

Sport...hobby....its all just words....but I would say paintball is like skiing (oh like I have never said that before!), it can be either a recreational hobby or a sport, it depends on you and how you take it.

Good comparison,Bob Gurnsey said in an interview that he modelled the earliest paintball business after the ski industry he had worked in at one time.

I am puzzled why people care about the use of the term sport. All sports are hobbies if you are not being paid to do them. Is it a hobby if someone considers playing paintball once, but only once? Is hockey a hobby, a sport or a religion? Is curling a sport? One of the reasons I play paintball is because I hate sports. The fact that these questions do not have clear cut answers makes me think there is no correct word for the activity and both hobby or sport both come close.

Regardless, Gmore, keep it up and best of luck. I have done video work in the past. Please take me up on my offer to help if you need it.