Thread: Sniper/Pump Cocker Bolt

Sniper/Pump Cocker Bolt

So, the back story is that I have a Kryptonite body ad I am building my dream pump gun, and I am taking the time to put primo operational parts into it.

The snag is that I am having trouble finding a bolt that I want to put in. Basically, I am looking for one with o-rings around the air-inlet/transfer hole and an o-ring around the tip. Then I hit on the idea: "Hey why not buy a nice bolt and have someone make the changes to it that I want: the channel for the o-ring around the tip, and a cut out in the rear part of the bolt so I can access the Lug with out removing the bolt from the gun.

Here is the question: Is the tip o-ring really necessary, and if so what benefits does it provide? Second: Will the cut out in the rear of the bolt mentioned above compromise the structural integrity of the bolt during use?

my impression:

the tip oring seals against the breech of the barrel, sealing the air so that the air transferring from the bolt goes directly into the barrel. so no loss of air.

as for a cut out to access the lug, i don't know. i think its more of how its always done, or even because of the design, it might lead to a weakening of the bolt. i do know that since the 97 which had the cutout for the lug through the top, where earlier cockers needed to have the frame removed; that the bolts were a carry over.

Interesting. I am thinking that I will have to look into it a bit further. I know that the lug is essentially set and forget, but I want the ability to easily access it when it does need adjusting.
    The real question is, then, what bolt? I was leaning towards the Belsales bolt since it has that fetching channel milled out for the detent. Or, if anyone has any recommendations for a good bolt, I am all ears.

AKA Lightning. love them, love them, love them.

From my experience of building pump guns, the bolts that I think are the best to use in a pump are(best first):

1. The non-venturi PE delrin bolt is the best(IIRC these only came on FT/DC/Nexus series guns).
    2. The venturi PE delrin dart bolt.
    3. CCM
    4. Shocktech
    5. Be Orange bolt if you can find one that isn't messed up.

The reason why the PE delrin bolt is so high up there is because even with 2 o-rings on the bolt, it is still amazingly smooth.

I've told you countless times I love my SLIK bolts and would give you one but all the ones I have are evo length. I also am a fan of the ans bolts air path. No small hole to go thru and it has orings on the transfer side just not the tip...

Quote Originally Posted by pote View Post
    I've told you countless times I love my SLIK bolts and would give you one but all the ones I have are evo length. I also am a fan of the ans bolts air path. No small hole to go thru and it has orings on the transfer side just not the tip...
    My silk bolt keeps swelling to the point where it is hard to even move it.

I bought one and it showed up both warped and too large to fit in my Orracle.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I think I am going to go with the Belsales bolt. I'm going to get Stanchy to cut the channel for the tip o-ring and the Lug access slot into it. I was talking with him last night on Facebook, and he said that he could do these things. It will probably be the last or second to last thing I purchase for it.

But, this quest has led me down a strange path: I'm going to have to learn CAD so I can design a bolt that I really want for my sniper: an ANS style venturi air transer port, o-rings around both sides of the air transfer port, an o-ring around the tip, and a lug access slot. Shouldn't be too hard to design, I just need to do some research to find the correct angle for the venturi opening to minimize turbulence during venting from the valve, and the optimal size for the air channels to the front of the bolt. Also, the material: I want to find something that does not change dimension with weather and relative humidity, and is reasonably self-lubricating. It is going to be a long process. But, I think it is going to be interesting.
    Last edited by breg; 01-24-2014 at 03:40 PM.