Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's put Cockerpunk on the spot

Let's put Cockerpunk on the spot

A few days ago, Gordon put a controversial post on the chatter forum of TechPB: http://www.techpb.com/forum/topic/22...st-conclusion/

He attached a picture of an Azodin Kaos with a lurker eigenbarrel, kick-reducing balanced cup seal, regulator, and an on/off ASA. For a loader he's got a revy and for a tank he's got some form of HPA tank with a cover. Total investment is probably about $300-350. Per Gordon,

there is essentially no need, on any level, for a gun with more capablities then this one to be effective and have fun playing paintball:
    its smaller and lighter then a classic mag or cocker
    more effenct then a mag, smoother then a cocker
    simpler, more reliable then just about anything, no complex loader required
    more firepower then a pump
    not so much firepower that you are tempted to waste paint

and way way cheaper then anything else.
    Unfortunately, TechPB wasn't very game to having much discussion about it. I'm very curious what this group thinks about the same subject of discussion. If it's true, and I'm inclined to agree, then how much of it is a function of current technology? If we had pressure transducers on an LPR and HPR, a way to get feedback on the shot performance, and an automated regulator, would that make a better (more effective) and fun marker?

One person commented back that this post was not consistent with the idea of buying better paint because the premise is that a) better paint will be more brittle and b) a marker like this Kaos setup will be a hard shot on paint. Another person commented that the features found here are better represented in the GOG eNMEy than the Azodin Kaos. My thoughts on that is I suspect this is a capitulation of sorts on Cockerpunk's part regarding the availability of good paint, and that the issue of Kaos vs. eNMEy is simply Poppet vs. Spool arguments that are everywhere in paintball.

I know many people here have owned and used most of the paintball markers from the past few years. A few are even manufacturers of some of these markers. What's your perspective on Gordon's idea of investment vs. fun and effective?

Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

lets see if there are any trekkies around:

but:

social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Put Q away. Just a bunch of weird paintball guys here.
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

someone edited away the "my body is ready" pic .... sadpanda.jpeg
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

the first thing you do is to not talk about Gordon. it fills his head with the idea that anything he says or posts really mean something.

with that, does using a STBB really matter? if a mag is too heavy for him, then lift some weights. i'll take a classic mag with a L10, ULE body, intelliframe and a revy. it will shoot as fast as i want and it won't break paint. sure, efficiency might not be there, but don't carry more paint than you can shoot. besides, do fields even charge per fill for HPA anymore? so going to the air tent/air shack/fill station is a non-starter anymore. 10 years ago, sure, but not now. plus, i'll guarantee that a classic mag will still be more reliable than that thing.

the most important thing i like about paintball guns, is what they mean in my hands. i look at having fun on the field, not to prove a point(well, to a point that is). i love my B2Ks, love my Mags, and everything else that's in my gear armory. that's why i collect different guns. each one has a certain feel and a certain meaning to me. plus, i never know what will want to work that day, so i find it easy to sometimes grab a different gun that to tinker with whatever isn't working.

so Gordie can play martyr and think he is doing the world a good measure by showing that he is better than everyone, but it doesn't matter, cause i really don't care what he uses. and when i seen him on the field at LL7, i'll shoot him with something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.

Ouch, but I think this sums up my general feeling of what paintball guns should be to people:

the most important thing i like about paintball guns, is what they mean in my hands. i look at having fun on the field, not to prove a point(well, to a point that is). i love my B2Ks, love my Mags, and everything else that's in my gear armory. that's why i collect different guns. each one has a certain feel and a certain meaning to me. plus, i never know what will want to work that day, so i find it easy to sometimes grab a different gun that to tinker with whatever isn't working.
    I don't find that statement and Gordon's original statement to necessarily be incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    with that, does using a STBB really matter? if a mag is too heavy for him, then lift some weights. i'll take a classic mag with a L10, ULE body, intelliframe and a revy. it will shoot as fast as i want and it won't break paint. sure, efficiency might not be there, but don't carry more paint than you can shoot. besides, do fields even charge per fill for HPA anymore? so going to the air tent/air shack/fill station is a non-starter anymore. 10 years ago, sure, but not now. plus, i'll guarantee that a classic mag will still be more reliable than that thing.
    The original sentiment of the post was that the gear was cheap. Anyone can grab a decent Azodin and not break the bank, unlike your Mag setup. Plus, the Azodin can be found brand new. For lots of new/casual players, buying new seems to be preferred from what I've seen.

Also, I'm the one who initially suggested that a gun like the Enmey would be even better suited to the spirit of the post. It basically has all the benefits suggested by the OP, with none of the drawbacks of a sear-tripping blowback.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 01-29-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    I don't know, fly casual

I'll put any of my rental 98's up against your redesigned spyder any day in a reliability test...

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    the first thing you do is to not talk about Gordon. it fills his head with the idea that anything he says or posts really mean something.

so Gordie can play martyr and think he is doing the world a good measure by showing that he is better than everyone, but it doesn't matter, cause i really don't care what he uses. and when i seen him on the field at LL7, i'll shoot him with something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.

lets talk about playing with automags:

how about cockers:

how bout pumps:

how bout angels:

how bout an epic:

How about no gun at all:

so you see, i rather have experience playing with just about everything under the sun, under conditions ranging from NPPL tournaments to the countries biggest scenario games.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-29-2014 at 10:05 AM.