Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes a pump gun, a pump gun?

What makes a pump gun, a pump gun?

A post in another thread made me think about this again, and especially as I just ordered the beautiful parts from CCM to build my own Kryptonite pump

Anyway, how do you define a pump gun? What makes it an acceptable pump gun?

Does the pump have to be connected to the bolt?

Does the pump stroke have to be more than 0.68"?

Can it be electronic?

Can it have eyes?

Do any of the tournament series care?

What about Pump Mags?

What about SHO's?

What about using mQ valves?

Personally, I think that as long as you've got a full manual manipulation of the bolt, it's a pump in my book. That counts out the assisted pumps and SHO types. I'm not a huge believer in the e-trigger for a pump either, although I did get to try out an amazing Angel framed, MQ2'd T2 once. Pretty incredible gun. But once you get into that kind of thing, it's almost screwing with the "spirit of the idea".

As for the tournament series, no idea, I've never gotten to that point where I thought it was a good idea to jump into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    A post in another thread made me think about this again, and especially as I just ordered the beautiful parts from CCM to build my own Kryptonite pump

Anyway, how do you define a pump gun? What makes it an acceptable pump gun?

Does the pump have to be connected to the bolt?

I would argue that pneu-assist aren't a 'true' pump, more like an inconvenient semi.

Does the pump stroke have to be more than 0.68"?

Ties in with above. yes, pneu assists are a pump, but they almost don't count somehow. A lever making the pump stroke shorter would be interesting

Can it be electronic?

why not? it's not really the triggering that matters, it's more the pumping.

Can it have eyes?

why would they be necessary?

Do any of the tournament series care?

I think actually, they do. I've been told that mq's and pneumatic assist pumps are out.

What about Pump Mags?

I want one, along with a regular mag...

What about SHO's?

Not sure what a SHO is unfortunately

What about using mQ valves?

Kind of sort of building one...
    See red

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Personally, I think that as long as you've got a full manual manipulation of the bolt, it's a pump in my book. That counts out the assisted pumps and SHO types. I'm not a huge believer in the e-trigger for a pump either, although I did get to try out an amazing Angel framed, MQ2'd T2 once. Pretty incredible gun. But once you get into that kind of thing, it's almost screwing with the "spirit of the idea".

As for the tournament series, no idea, I've never gotten to that point where I thought it was a good idea to jump into that.
    Getting the parts together for putting an angel frame and stuff onto either my BM or Karnivor... 1/2 block kits are almost as hard to find as Karnivor ones.

edit - I still say AT is cheating.
    Last edited by new ion?; 02-05-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Insider
    I think in the spirit of it, a marker that requires 2 player manipulations to actuate and fire is a pump. This definitions allows Splatmasters to qualify.

Autotriggering is a silly hangup to me, since Nelspots could do it as a side effect of the design. Pneumatic assist and e triggers... Don't really bother me.

Anything where the pump handle has to travel at least .68 and you can't fire more than 1 paintball without pumping between

Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    Anything where the pump handle has to travel at least .68 and you can't fire more than 1 paintball without pumping between
    So pnuematic assist and electronic controls would be ok if it was at least a .68 pump stroke?

How do the tournament series feel about that?

How much is the pump stroke on a pump mag?
    Short. Mine are all much much shorter than any sniper..
    BigEvilOnline.com - Home of the bad, bad automag people.

So pnuematic assist and electronic controls would be ok if it was at least a .68 pump stroke?

How do the tournament series feel about that?
    I am ok with both as long as the pump stroke is more than .68 and that you can't fire more than 1 ball per pump stroke.

IIRC in tournaments, they require the pump handle to be directly connected to the bolt or backblock.

I think there's also a rule stating something about the marker not firing in between pumping ruling out mqs...

Wait wouldn't that also exclude phantom revolutions? Maybe my info is incorrect.