Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 Axis milling the Kryptonite body series

So how do I get these bodies in my shop Simon?

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeeddemon View Post
    So how do I get these bodies in my shop Simon?
    Initially they will just be available to people coming to Extravaganza but if any are left over or if I can get more blanks from KEE I will have them available for all stores/fields/dealers that sign up. It's hard to tell from screen names but if you haven't yet filled in a dealer app for us, please do so. It's here http://inceptionforums.com/images/id...pplication.pdf and then e-mail is to sales@inceptiondesigns.com Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    guys working on multi-axis cnc machines, check this baby out:

http://ibspe.com/category/machine-to...-solutions.htm

we were running this at a professional conference on some really nice basically new Haas 5 axis stuff ... and it was insane. even brand new, in profiling these machines were 30-90 microns error motion. but using this instrument, and having access to the source code of the machine, re-setting the axis alignment and error compensation maps (ie no mechanical adjustments at all), we were able to put these machines down to 5 micron error motion or better.

it works like a dynamic ball-bar test. the probe nest holds on to the target, and the axis move in synchronized moves while the probes record and then compute back out in spacial coordinates the error.

after mapping each axis, it computes out all the new alignment numbers, which basically tells the cnc computer to interpolate its moves differently to correct.

very cool machine. we were all trying to figure out an excuse to buy one, but i don't do much 5 axis stuff.
    That sounds awesome, and very expensive.

Was that the new integrated 5 axis mill they have? I saw a demo and would love one, but it won't fit in my building. Too tall. also quite pricey for a lot of what I would need it to do.

Simon will our store need to be a dealer to buy one from you at Extravaganza? I'd like to have one but idk if our store is planning on carrying your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That sounds awesome, and very expensive.

Was that the new integrated 5 axis mill they have? I saw a demo and would love one, but it won't fit in my building. Too tall. also quite pricey for a lot of what I would need it to do.
    yeah, as much as its "free" accuracy ... its not.

not sure on the machine frankly, i don't work on commercial stuff so im not familiar with it except in passing. it was at an off site 3rd party machine shop. they were demoing there sensors, and lion precision was demoing there spindle error analysis probes.

still can't find an SEA system that works with my 100+ krpm spindles .... id really like to know if they are as good as they say they are ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Just for my own curiosity whats the mill time to do one of these bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    We are pretty damned lucky to have Keith Belsey as our body "machinist". We are pretty tough on ourselves as to what we call acceptable or not, but he takes it to another level.
    They have always done a stunning job!

Tell him I want to buy Angry .45 frames and pneumatics too probably, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by steadian View Post
    Just for my own curiosity whats the mill time to do one of these bodies?
    Longer than I would like, but I have to slow it down for finish and my 5 axis needs a new brake release solenoid so I have to delay twice as long before A axis moves (see it's not just in paintball that solenoid valves go bad )

New Haas 5ax machines actually come with a calibration system like that. BUT it uses the OEM Renishaw hardware which is just a digital probe, so it's pretty time-consuming to run the full routine, then when everything heats up you have to do it again, etc etc. It's originally intended for hysteresis compensation but has other uses. I don't think anybody uses it though...lol