Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cocker Ram force

To help eliminate some of the blow back issues could you just angle the air port coming from the valve to a fairly aggressive angle? Then any blow back would be pushing on an angled surface with respect to the spring and limit oscillation? If you crunched the numbers right I bet you could find a port angle where blowback forces acting on the angled surface would be less then the yield of the spring but the spring yield would still be low enough to not chop the ball.

blueshifty could you explain your idea a bit more? I think I got it but I am not sure

First, angling the surface doesn't do much because the force isn't generated with air shear... or most of it anyway.

The idea on pneumatic locking is pretty simple really if you understand the issue. The bolt is being forced back (compressing the spring) by the breach pressure generating enough force via the bolt face to compress the spring for a bit. The carrier that houses the spring doesn't "see" it's location so it doesn't know if the force is because of a ball or the firing pressure. Adding spring force doesn't make sense because then you will have a higher apply force on the ball and will be less effective there. So, quite simply you create a piston/ air spring to increase the holding force with a rise in breach pressure. You could also make a literal lock like a pneumatic sear, but I am not sure how necessary it would be. The easiest example I could use... well I haven't released that concept to the public yet. The second easiest easiest example of this would be the etha air-sprung spool (though they call it a poppet).

If you do this, then when firing you will get holding force from the magnet, the spring AND the air spring. If you send me an email address, I can do a quick 2d sketch and shoot it to you.

have to admit, i did not think of that. love the pneumatic locking design ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

That's open source. A shout out to ironyusa on products using the concept would be cool too.