Thread: Open bolt ram driven marker (like an ego or timmy) with a twist

Open bolt ram driven marker (like an ego or timmy) with a twist

So this was brought up by Yelosno on PBN, and this is my interpretation of it... (his posts are peculiar from time to time...)

He suggested a separate solenoid to control the closing force on the valve itself. The valve spring would be stiff, but as the marker fired, a solenoid in the valve itself (or thereabouts) would pull on the cupseal, lowering the force for the ram. When a set dwell time expires, this solenoid shuts off and the valve has the full force to close it.

His theory is that you would have the benefits of a stiff valve spring, combined with that of a low opening force.

Unfortunately, I'm not advanced enough in my degree to be able to calculate how much force a solenoid of this type could apply, so I can't comment too much. I wanted to bring it to the minds here for your thoughts.

*upon going back, he was talking about the entire thing being electromagnetically controlled, but that's kind of not viable due to battery consumption (and magnetic properties), this is my spin off*

There are easier ways to control the valve force. Study Lurker's work, particularly that on the gen4 timmy valve, and you'll see one of the most beautifully crafted valves EVER designed. Yelosno is kind of crazy... but he's a frequent to the quest forums over there, so I can't dislike him too much.

Sometimes it's the crazy ones that come up with something good. I thought it was a little overly complex, and agree that optimizing the system pneumatically is more important.

basically, he is making a cheap MQ valve or at least a MQ valve in 2 separate parts.

the idea has some merit but implementation is, well difficult, IMO.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but rather that it is way overcomplicated and probably still wouldn't work as well as some other designs. Timing something like that seems complicated too. The old shoebox shockers used a noid to control the valve too, albeit not a knock-open and they were closed bolt.

Insider
    Timing it... you could use something like a variable reluctance sensor used on the tooth wheel of your car to time ignition. It's annoying but you could do certain things with this type of technology to widen a tuning space in certain designs.

Why not just use a cam or lever for the mechanical linking at that point? Lol, VVT for paintball guns is not appealing to me in the least. Without getting into the valve theory discussion, I don't think this particular implementation buys you much.

Honestly, if you wanted to make a knock-open style stacked tube mini/ axe then it would probably work great on similar valve premises. The routing might be a little tricky, but the "decreasing force" would be mechanical.

Another solution would be a cam-driven valve release (since I assume PE has a patent on the lever).

Sounds like an MQ valve to me?