Thread: Diassembling an SMG-68

Diassembling an SMG-68

Hello, all. I want to clean and lube the SMG-68 my friend loaned me.

Got a certain ways ahead, then got stuck. Followed an illustrated guide on Mcarterbrown for a 68 special, but it is vague on the how. It just mentions what.

Right now I cannot get the valve out. I feel like I must be missing some trick to it.

If anyone knows how to disassemble an SMG-68 please advise.

Thank you.

Insider
    Did you remove the pin that goes through the body? Once that is out, the valve should come out the back. You may need to pull up on the gas line as you do so, otherwise the line keeps pushing the valve forward.

Do not think so. I removed something I would call a rod and think is too big big for the word pin, however I would understand if someone called it a pin.

I see a hole where a pin could go through almost as forward as the trigger guard but much higher than the guard near the bottom of where the valve would bottom out. This hole appears empty. I can see light come through it. The gas line thing was mentioned elsewhere but without explanation as why, so I was lax on it. Will do it every try this time. Still, the valve was not moving when I did it before and not just now when I tried again paying extra attention to the gas line.

Could you describe the location of the pin more please.

And BTW, thank you for responding. I definitely need help at this point.

So I figured out that the pin mentioned by Jay is a roll pin, therefore hollow. I thought I was looking through an empty hole. Bought a 10$ roll pin punch set from Princess Auto. This and a hammer to hit the pin with revealed that yes there is a pin in that hole. A roll pin. Anyway I got the valve out after doing this. Brought the marker to my o-ring guy and replaced the two o-rings I saw. Cleaned and lubed parts.

Today I intend to reassemble.

Will post an update when I have it.

I reassembled the SMG. It will not cycle now and then I saw when I took it apart again that the main spring is bent in a odd way. Perhaps I should replace it. Any suggestions as to where to get a replacement? Is there a big spring place online? Could any of you machinists make one?

Thanks.

It is cycling now, but not advancing the clip. I loaded paint into the clip before testing. (Learned the hard way it will not advance without paint.) The clip latch was working fine before, bit apparently not now.