Thread: A Dummy Practice Marker

A Dummy Practice Marker

Hello Inception Design Community, I am new to the forums, but not new to Simon, I have met him in person and gotten to know him a little bit, and when I came to him with this idea for a project, He sent me here to you, so hopefully someone can bring this idea to fruition.

I was working out today and had an idea pop into my head, I was doing some breakout sprint drills, and just using my hands to simulate holding a marker, and was wondering, since my university doesn't allow markers because they consider them firearms, how feasible it would be to make a dummy marker, that a tank could screw into, and would have threads for a barrel, and a feedneck to hold a hopper, however make the gun the same weight as a fully functioning gun, but just be a hunk of metal or other material in the shape of a marker, non-functioning, but with a trigger, no internals, and just cut out parts to match the weight of an actual gun so I could scew in a tank and just use the marker dummy and a tank in the rec center on campus (so nobody could confuse it for a marker), and then I could screw in a barrel and hopper to run drills when out at the field or some place markers are allowed, but I didn't want to damage a marker, say, practicing sliding and diving drills.

it wouldn't have to be anything fancy, just a dummy model in the shape of a gun, so i feel like it would be relatively easy and quick designing

Simon: I think you could petty easily 3d print something like that.
    Me: Would the weight be applicable to standard weight? and would the cost be conducive to having it done?
    Simon: Make openings in it to put chunks of steal it lead into it.
    Simon: Ask on my forums and see if anyone is up to doing it for you.

So there you have it, and here I am, hoping that one of you may be able to help me, and provide my university recognized and funded team with a way to practice during the winter off season months, and provide us a way to practice during the week on campus, so we can create a winning program. It gets pretty bad up here in Nebraska and we have no way to practice outside, so this would be a big benefit to our club during the off season.

Oh, and I have zero design or engineering experience.

Thanks, Eric.

Welcome, Eric.

Firstly, please stop making the rest of us look bad. Working out. Sprint drills. Sheesh.

I understand if you dismiss this idea because you want ultra realism, but for simplicity consider the following. Have a woodworker (easy to find) carve you a marker shaped object. Then bolt on a cheap aftermarket ASA and screw in an empty tank to it. Drill a hole in some part of the marker model and put weights in it. Do not paint the model in order to make it look like a weird wooden prop, not a gun. Although it may take a way a bit of realism, do not include the barrel. That is most symbolic of a gun at a distance.

Also don't people assemble Autocockers from disparate parts? Perhaps you could do that without any of the functioning internals. If you are going to play with the marker, through heavy ball bearings into the internals for weight. Remove the barrel while doing your training on campus for extra discretion. Also, perhaps painting it an odd colour would help. Safety cone orange maybe.

Hmmm... Perhaps You could keep the barrel but make it look non-barrel like by putting a shroud of some sort on it. A public training shroud you could call it. Something that changes the shape of the barrel making it look more like a paddle or shovel or some such than the outline of a barrel.

The others here will have better suggestions and might be able to help. Just throwing what I consider easier approachs out there.