Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any opinions on the newer versions of Bobcad?

Any opinions on the newer versions of Bobcad?

I've got a legitimate copy of BobCAD V21 that came with the stepper controller for my mill, and it's rather antiquated. Any of the other CAM packages that I've messed around with I have less than legitimate copies of, which was fine for me while I was just messing around with them learning, but wanting to go forward with things that would be for sale it is no longer an ethical option, and time for me to make a move to a legal copy of something. I have a 4th axis for my mill, and plan on converting my lathe to CNC in the not too distant future as well.

I've played quite a bit with HSMWorks, but what they want for a copy is well out of my reach (10K). I've been getting e-mails from BobCAD for several years (since I registered the copy of V21), which seems to be one of people's biggest complaints about them being the perpetual e-mails (doesn't bother me, they are e-mails, not phone calls). One arrived the other day that really piqued my interest though.

Quote Originally Posted by BobCAD's perpetual neverending stream of email that Gmail thankfully puts in a promo folder now
    OPTION 1: Select any 2 products listed below ONLY $995
    OPTION 2: Select any 4 products listed below ONLY $1495

V26 3 Axis Mill PRO CAD/CAM (Normally $3495.00)
    V26 3 Axis Mill Standard CAD/CAM (Normally $2495.00)
    V26 Mill Express (Normally $595.00)
    V26 2 Axis Lathe CAD/CAM (Normally $1995.00)
    V26 BobART Add-On (Normally $1995.00)
    V26 Nesting Add-On (Normally $995.00)
    V26 4th Axis Standard Add-On (Normally $3995.00)
    Extra Seat/License (Price depends on your selected product)

Call 727-442-3554 x168 to select your winning package
    The offer expires 3/21/2014, which doesn't give me a whole lot of time to play with the free demos, but with my work schedule I wouldn't get a lot more time in on the 30 day free trial than I will this weekend anyway.

The videos on youtube make it look like it has come a significant way in both power and ease of use. The company itself has apparently also made a lot of headway in customer relations the past couple of years according to reviews on various forums.

Anybody able to sway my decision one way or the other? I know there are better packages out there, just most of them out of my price range. $1500 to have legitimate copies of a CAM package seems pretty great, but I don't want $1500 of regret either.

My Boss (day Job) has BobCAD. the newest Version.
    He has a 3 Axis Mill. And a new Haus CNC Lathe. (his 2nd Biz. Making gun parts.)
    He Loves it for the $. we use GibbsCAM at the Day Job. so he could just use it. He told me he like BobCAD for what he is doing.
    Call Them they are Flexable on there Priceing!!!!!
    Started Playing Paintball in 1986'
    Owner of Instien's Paintball Supply. H'ville Mo.
    J4 Torque Dealer, Deadlywind Also Valken, GI sports

I don't have much to add about bobcad myself (barely ever used it outside of messing around) but one of the interesting things I've noted is that my quoted prices have risen over the years. It used to be about half the cost back when I was first browsing. They keep updating the program, that's for sure...although there's a lot of room to upgrade from the old versions. I think with their newer advancements they're trying to raise the opinion of the software by increasing the price. Not that it isn't justified, but like I said I find it interesting. Specifically, the last official quote I had was for v22 which cost $860. I bought the program and used it as a trade-in for something more expensive (they were offering a promo where you could get 50% off with trade-in of another license, so I took advantage of it).

I think bobcam is absolutely better than nothing. Like anything else it just depends on what you want to do with it.

Have you heard about autocad 360? it has its advantages and disadvantages but one thing is that large portions of the software is free. But I don't think their cam solution is out yet...

I watched some videos on this one and it looked pretty nice: http://mecsoft.com/

It appeared to me that Geomagic: SolidWorks :: VisualCAM : MasterCAM. It seemed pretty intuitive though I am FAR from an expert.

The new bobcad is pretty impressive. What are you doing 2.5D or 3D?

Thanks for the input guys. Like Andy said - any version is absolutely better than nothing, so I ended up getting the 4 programs for $1495 with V26 3 Axis Mill PRO, 2 Axis Lathe, BobART Add-On, and 4th Axis Standard Add-On. Almost $10,000 under MSRP, so a pretty solid sale I think.

I've seen the AutoDesk 360 packages, but I have legal access to AutoCAD through work already so I haven't paid a lot of attention to it. I have beta access to their CAM 360 program, which was originally staged to be released in 3 or 4 different versions with the most basic being free but they recently changed it to be moving towards an all paid version starting around a thousand dollars a year. I'll probably be getting my own (legal) copy of SolidWorks in the not too distant future as well, it's just too useful to keep myself stuck on just AutoCAD - especially when I'm working on projects with other people and not just my own.

I've got some things that are 3D that I want to do, but most of it could be done 2.5D with multiple setups.

I'll post some updates on my thoughts about the software after I've had some more time with it. First glance, looks to be more than enough for what I need it to do.

How is bobcad working for you

Any updates- I'm looking get this because work doesn't want me to the take software home
    Last edited by m98custom1212; 02-17-2015 at 01:32 PM.

Sadly, no. I haven't had much time to really play with it too much and haven't done anything with it besides basic profiling and pockets. And those were things imported from either AutoCAD or Solidworks. I haven't used the CAD functionality at all.

Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    Sadly, no. I haven't had much time to really play with it too much and haven't done anything with it besides basic profiling and pockets. And those were things imported from either AutoCAD or Solidworks. I haven't used the CAD functionality at all.
    I'm more curious about the cam side. I have access to solidworks because of 80% user. The cam is different story.