Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMG-68 ASA Pin

SMG-68 ASA Pin

It was suggested that an 1100psi SHP regulator from Ninja would allow me to use the SMG-68 with an HPA tank. So I bought one, but the pin in the ASA is not long enough to depress the ball on the regulator. Does anyone know if the ASA pin can be altered to fix this problem? If so, how?

Thanks.

Try a reg extender? Hopefully there is one that has a pin long enough to activate the reg on the tank.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    It was suggested that an 1100psi SHP regulator from Ninja would allow me to use the SMG-68 with an HPA tank. So I bought one, but the pin in the ASA is not long enough to depress the ball on the regulator. Does anyone know if the ASA pin can be altered to fix this problem? If so, how?

Thanks.
    Is it one of the new pro v2 regs? They're super nice. I think the issue is the double o-ring makes them (as well as any of the new ninja regs) slightly too long for some older ASAs. You might be able to use a reg/ASA extender since they are newer and probably have a longer pin.
    Not quite sure how to remedy it otherwise. I suppose you could drill out the existing pin and tap/thread for a new longer one.
    Last edited by skibbo; 03-25-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    I suppose you could drill out the existing pin and tap/thread for a new longer one.
    I'll bet you could do that and replace it with a long set screw so you can adjust it to the exact length you need...

Thanks Simon and Skibbo. I would drill it out, but do not have the confidence or equipment to create a new screw thread.

Would not want to buy new equipment without checking for alternatives. I did so and thank you guys for telling me your thoughts on it.

Looks like an extender is the way to go, unfortunate though I have to lengthen the tank set up. These new fangled HPA tanks are so insanely bulky and huge as it is.

My one and only local shop is closed and their future uncertain. If there are any retailers reading this, feel free to try and sell me one.

Skibbo: Yes it is. The online retailer told me they were upgrading me to the V2 pro reg at no extra charge. I do not know if they cost more, they only had these in stock anyway, or if they were legitimately being nice and giving me something extra.

I'm not familiar with the smg 68, does it use a standard tippmann asa off like say a prolite or whatever. I am also too lazy this early in the am to go google it....give this rockstar time to kick in...

I do not recall the prolite in enough detail to be sure, but it seems like the sort of ASA that I remember being on other old Tippmanns. Sorry, hopefully someone else will know.

Insider
    The ASA of the 68 Special was built into the back of the gun cast.

I take back my recommendation of drilling the ASA. I wouldn't want to do that to a piece of history.

You could make a turned piece that fits inside over the current pin and extends it, but I think the tank extender or a more normal reg may be the way to go...

Supports Inception Designs
    You may be able to contact ninja and see if they have any non dual o-ring bonnets that you could get. Nth et may also have some ideas for you. Their Customer Service is top notch and I'm. Sure they'll help you get it figured out.