Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling Axe regulator for HPA output port?

Insider

Drilling Axe regulator for HPA output port?

I wonder would it be possible to drill Axe regulator so that it would have 1/8 HPA output port and still retain the capability to regulate LP output trough the grip frame? I'm thinking of possible sleeper pneu mag configurations.

Did we talk about this on facebook? I would recommend putting a reg extender on and drilling the reg extender first. You could potentially tap into the back of the reg to get HPA but there is only a small space where it would be possible to do it.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Did we talk about this on facebook? I would recommend putting a reg extender on and drilling the reg extender first. You could potentially tap into the back of the reg to get HPA but there is only a small space where it would be possible to do it.
    No this is the first time I've voiced the idea aloud. But it seems some one else has also had the same idea.

For now I'm only mapping the options. Ideally I'd like an option where the bottle would sit as it sits with regular ASA. I guess there's some potential to this line of thought but it seems the modification would have to be precise in order to succeed. Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

I had someone ask me a month or so on Facebook about taking HP off before the reg also.

The easiest way to do it without risking the reg is with a reg extender.

I think it would be possible to drill and tap the reg behind the current gauge in order to get air at the higher pressure, but you will need to be careful where it connects into the inside of the reg where the tank screws in. It needs to be in a location where you don't risk the o-ring seal on the reg bonnet, and you have to be careful not to make your connection too deep where it will break through too much. You probably can't drill it as deep as the gauge hole is.

To do it right you should probably reverse engineer the important areas of the reg and model it up. Then be very careful about how you machine/drill/tap to make the connection.

Simon that was Ben.
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    Simon that was Ben.
    Yep. That was me. I haven't gotten a chance to play around with that yet. I've been up in Canada, away from my toys.

I'm guessing Laku and I are thinking about it for the same reason.

chuff chuff

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by bbotts77 View Post
    Yep. That was me. I haven't gotten a chance to play around with that yet. I've been up in Canada, away from my toys.

I'm guessing Laku and I are thinking about it for the same reason.

chuff chuff
    I'm thinking you're right.

Way ahead of you all
    BigEvilOnline.com - Home of the bad, bad automag people.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Way ahead of you all
    Talk is cheap, shut up or show us pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Talk is cheap, shut up or show us pictures.
    Big talk from a man who...

Actually yea! where are these pics!
    Automags.org - Home of the mild mannered, helpful automag people.