Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPTO site

Wayne

USPTO site

I just need to rant that this site (actually it, and the account creation process) is a giant cluster. Nothing is simple, the names they give things are all unusual (create account, login, submit, track, manage would be usual IMO). Here I am, trying to submit something so I can move forward and the site is the antithesis of user friendly.

Insider
    Google Patents seems to work good for me...

Wayne
    For filing?

Insider
    oh wow, not for filing... yeah, that would be a pain.

Give me a ring, I did have a lawyer on mine, but I can answer some Q's if you have some.

Wayne
    I have everything I need to set up an account, but a number generated for the process (1 of 3 numbers needed, this one needed to have a notarized form) has a 60 day shelf life and I just couldn't get to it in time. I'm trying to get that number turned back on so I can create everything I need to actually do the filing, but it's sounding like I have to get another notary. Such a pain.

There are few things that are clean or simple with the USPTO site. They are a little way behind what I would call being "consumer friendly" unfortunately.

Wayne
    I got ahold of a helpful person there, told me what form to fill out, and that it didn't need another notary. She then gave me the fax number that I needed to send it to. :huh: Really? I can't just scan it and email it in? I only know of one person with access to a fax, so I will be giving them the form today to fax in on Monday. 3-5 days is what they said to get things rolling again. The wait is fine, kinda (I'm chomping at the bit to get this moving), but the fax only approach is very annoying. All too fitting though.

Ahh companies that still require faxes, and then talk to me like I'm an idiot because I don't have one. I am a much bigger fan of the scan and e-mail option too.

Wayne
    Got my new auth number in my email today. Going to see if I can find some time tonight to create my account and then see how the filing process works. When I start making the phone call(s), I almost want to get shot down so I can show everyone what I've been working on.

If you are filing a design patent it's typically 6 months until you get an office action. If it's a utility patent it could be up to 16 months... The back log was very large for the last few years, I am not sure how bad it is currently.

Good luck.