Thread: Automags

Automags

Hey gang!

Nobody get mad at me but, I've been a cocker guy for as long as I've been involved with paintball. But I've always wanted an Automag, but kept it hush hush! lol So I have a few questions for the automag guys.

1st off, what are they like to work on? pretty reliable? I love to tinker with markers, so it doesn't really matter but info is always good!

Next, someone on ebay has 6 automags, all non-working, for $75 each with free shipping. Is this a good price or too high for non-working mags? I was thinking of getting a few of them. One to do up just how I want it & a couple others for loaners when someone from my teams gun goes down.

Last, any model mags should I stay away from or are they all pretty awsome to shoot?

Also, with Empire re-releasing an Autococker, any rumors of someone re-releasing an Automag? And who now holds all the rights to all the AGD stuff? I have access to a couple of machine shops, my wife might kill me but I wouldn't mind looking into or helping out with a resurrection sort of speak Automag! I always have ideas, I just need the right one to follow thru on! lol

I'm looking forward to everyones input on all this!

Thanks!
    Weapons of choice: a Sniper & Fuzzy Bunny Slippers!

Normal mags are very simple to work on and very reliable.

Tom Kaye still owns the rights to AGD and the Mag and we have discussed his options to bring a mag to market again but I don't know of any plans to actually do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Hey gang!

Nobody get mad at me but, I've been a cocker guy for as long as I've been involved with paintball. But I've always wanted an Automag, but kept it hush hush! lol So I have a few questions for the automag guys.
    alright, listen up maggot, i'm tired of carrying your ass and dealing with your whiny shit... oh wait, you were using the article, not my name. ok, resume posting...

1st off, what are they like to work on? pretty reliable? I love to tinker with markers, so it doesn't really matter but info is always good!
    2 screws hold a mag together. most problems with a leaky mag can be fix with 3 drops of oil. i haven't taken apart my classic valve in about 12 years, after i installed my L10 kit. a few years ago, i put in some oil after it was leaking, and that's been it. basically, you set it up, tech it and then forget it. mind you that is dealing with just the pure mechanical guns. Penumags, Emags and the Egomags(and the like) do require a little more attention than that, but the basic stuff is extremely easy. its not like you have to put in time before or after playing with it to maintain it. mags are reliable as an anvil.

Next, someone on ebay has 6 automags, all non-working, for $75 each with free shipping. Is this a good price or too high for non-working mags? I was thinking of getting a few of them. One to do up just how I want it & a couple others for loaners when someone from my teams gun goes down.
    beofre jumping into a sale, what are you looking for? do you just want a classic valve that you can use and put away wet when you want to get mistaken for shooting an Ion? do you want an RT'ing machine gun to put the ramping electros in there place? if you want a little more performance then i would go with a Retro/Emag/X valve gun. though, check if the guns say or are Rental valves. you won't be able to put in a L10 without modifying the powertube.

Last, any model mags should I stay away from or are they all pretty awesome to shoot?
    no. its really on what you want to do. if you want a gun just to play around with, when you want to go play against walkons, then a classic valve is all you need. if you want something that is pure performance, then again, go with a Emag/ReTro/X valve gun. the basic design stays the same, but there are some tweaks that allow the affore mentioned Emag/ReTro/X valves to be able to RT with adjusting the on/off rod length and the input pressure.

Also, with Empire re-releasing an Autococker, any rumors of someone re-releasing an Automag? And who now holds all the rights to all the AGD stuff? I have access to a couple of machine shops, my wife might kill me but I wouldn't mind looking into or helping out with a resurrection sort of speak Automag! I always have ideas, I just need the right one to follow thru on! lol
    why? AGD is not dead and is still producing new parts/guns. go to Automags.org and check it out. AGD is still around and there are some of us that are producing new parts to continue the great legacy started with Tom Kaye and his crazy champagne cork idea...

I'm looking forward to everyones input on all this!

Thanks!
    well, i'm sure BigEvil will chime in soon enough and set you straight on any point where i missed. he is the Mag Whisperer...

LOL had me crackin up there Nobody! What I'm really looking for out of a Mag right now is a marker I can do some upgrades & maybe a little customizing to. The main use of an Automag for me will be more for open play & some of the scenario games I go to. I want something I know is going to work right out of my bag & if I lone her out, I know that person isn't going to be able to destroy it too easily! So, I know I'm looking more for classic valve Mags right now. Some day I do plan on getting a RT Mag but I will wait until I see the one I can't live without! When that day comes, I will hound & pester the owner until they give in & sell her to me! Mwahahahaha!

I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of pump play the last 3 years. So much so, that I traded off my last electro marker for another pump cocker! But I do have those days where I just want to shoot, no pumping, no batteries, no timing issues, just no hassles, just straight up play! Then again, I haven't had a timing issue with any of my cockers since 2002! lol

And I did join the Automag forums. Had to use Bro-Grimm there, someone had already stole my name! lol

Thanks again Nobody & Simon for your input!
    Weapons of choice: a Sniper & Fuzzy Bunny Slippers!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Normal mags are very simple to work on and very reliable.

Tom Kaye still owns the rights to AGD and the Mag and we have discussed his options to bring a mag to market again but I don't know of any plans to actually do so.
    I've yet to see a better valve for an Automag platform then an Xvalve, there is always room for improvement on everything but you wouldnt have to.

An Inception Designs, body. rail, gas thru foregrip, and trigger frame would be an awesome start !

(the barrel is of course done )

endeavor to persevere.......

unibody or bust
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

I am in the process of updating my Automag. Currently it has a very new and untested X-Valve engine on a tried and true AutoResponse trigger. I have a new ULE body for her but needs to upgrade the color scheme on it.

I dug my old Level 7 mag out of storage this year and have been using it at 'magfed' events that also allow 50 ball loaders. It's fantastic - I've found that the powerfeed body is a revelation when using a tiny gravity loader, far better than a centerfeed due to the longer ball stack. I hope that the supply of seals never dries up, because the guns themselves will run forever. Incredibly easy to tech and a really satisfying crisp shot, awesome guns.

I've owned a lot over the years and the only upgrade I've retained is Doc's autococker barrel adapter, takes all the hassle out of barrel choice.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gadget; 12-17-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Just finished putting together a classic RT project, with XMT ULE cocker threaded vert feed body.

Now to get it working like its supposed to.

endeavor to persevere.......

Insider
    Nice!
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.