Thread: Sealing threading

Sealing threading

Well,

I'm modeling a mq-cocker lower tube ram, and I seem to have run into a (fairly large) snag...

WGP, in their infinite wisdom, thought it was a good idea to thread a full inch into the bottom tube. Is a static oring seal reliable or even possible on threading like this?

I'm hoping to have multiple seals here on this threaded section. I wouldn't know how to proceed if this isn't possible. I'm trying to avoid modifying the body as much as possible.

Im confused what you are asking

Maybe picture?

you won't see a good seal in the thread-zone using an o-ring. you can mill out the threads and add a sleeve that's sealed with the body somehow, and then seal to that sleeve. Or you could thread in a bored-out sleeve that seals to the threads using loctite, but that requires everything that's gonna seal in that zone to fit the reduced bore.

I'm not 100% familiar with what area you're talking about and the parts you're using, just a vague idea, so yes; picture or diagram would be useful here.

project 1.jpg

I think this gives the general idea. The grey piece is a cocker body (this model is just a merlin extrusion modified slightly), the green piece is a start on my ram housing. There's threads the oring would want to seal against.

Of course, that's just the start of my issues as the right hole there, normally used for a beavertail, is currently holding the frame onto my karnivor. I was thinking custom making a banjo bolt to transfer air, but that comes with its own issues.

is there enough space to plug the frame screw hole with a small set screw and still leave enough threads for a useful frame screw hole?

the only way to seal threads reliably is usually with tef tape, orings will just leak by (for obvious reasons)
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    is there enough space to plug the frame screw hole with a small set screw and still leave enough threads for a useful frame screw hole?
    Probably - I think I only use like 2 threads.