Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Google Drive for paintball documents

I know this thread is a bit on the old side, but, has anyone been using GrabCAD lately?

I use it for a job I'm doing and I'm seriously thinking of porting a lot of content I do over to it, and using it for any projects with collaboratiors across multiple geographies, platforms, disciplines, and CAD packages as it's fairly platform agnostic.

It's free now, it wasn't before, and essentially works like Vault on Inventor does from back when I had to use that; but what I like is that it's super easy to take a file and share permissions with someone and they can view it in 3D from a browser or they can work on the files directly on their own CAD and then I see their uploaded versions later on. Beats the pants off Dropbox and other clouds for that purpose.

Main downfalls I've heard cited when explaining the system is a concern that someone else is holding your data, though I've yet to see any informed claim that the data is not held in the same privacy and personal ownership protections as any other cloud-storage solution; and the other that I've come across is that collaborators do need to sign up and keep up with yet another profile on yet another program, and if one is running a library system they have to make sure everything is migrated to and managed exclusively through folders that are sync'd to GrabCAD.

The other cool thing is that if you have non-proprietary reference data you wish to share, it can of course be publicly published to GrabCAD as many are aware. But it's the behind-the-scenes sharing and project management function of the GrabCAD Workbench that is relatively new to me and super awesome.
    Last edited by HipboyScott; 05-01-2015 at 02:42 AM.

sounds like a really fun way to spread the opensource movement, ive been hosting a lot of my 3d project files on shapeways so I can easily send it to their printer but thats not something that you guys would be too concerned with...

I've only used it for the open source art files aspect, but it is an awesome repository for people willing to share their work.

I've used it a couple times to find standard parts that I was too lazy to model, like batteries and a few connectors. A lot of decent stuff there, but you do have to pay attention to avoid the crap, too.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Sorry for the thread necromancy. But I'm doing a complete Autococker in Solidworks (even various valves, 3ways and frames) and I would like to host them somewhere. YDNA agreed to host it. But those are too big files to send by mail. In the process I've wrote some approximate specifications for back block, front block, ASA, body, hammer and such. I have the PDF so anybody can know the threads and dimensions of a front block, for example. Anywhere where I can upload it?

google drive or BOX would be my suggestions

No worries about the thread necromancy. I believe that I posted a link in this thread where anyone can upload files. It's a GDrive, so no worries about space. Feel free to put them there.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    No worries about the thread necromancy. I believe that I posted a link in this thread where anyone can upload files. It's a GDrive, so no worries about space. Feel free to put them there.
    There, I've been uploading Autococker parts to the Baldusi folder. There is everything but an actual HPR to make an Autococker. Please review and tell me what you think.
    Last edited by baldusi; 05-12-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: dupe