Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mask Coverage

Simon: At the time I assumed my reaction was due to my health issues, but I am rethinking that based on your comments and what the EMT who plays paintball and was there said. It hurt like hell, but my blood pressure dropped allot too. I slowly managed to get myself off the field, but when I did I immeadiatly had to sit down. This freaked out the organizer until I reassured him. The blood pressure went back to normal after a minute, but the whole thing was bad.

HipboyScott: I have been thinking the same thing. Designing around an existing lens could make it possible to make your own mask, even though ASTM testing is still necessary.

Simon: Seriously, send me a message. I made enquiries to some places that do new modern high tech manufacturing techniques and there is potential there for a small business to do a mask. Please talk to me about this we may be able to help each other. You may be able to give me something that would allow me to discover the answer to the question "Can we do it?" definitively.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    So I bought a Vforce Grill. I unexpectedly found a new one for sale at a discounted price at a charity game I attended. The convenience and priced got me to do it right then.

Was interested in other masks, but worried about their coverage. I also commented on the fact that all current masks are tiny and do not cover as well as my JT Crossfire. The Grills only had a litte less coverage and I made a comment about it.

Five minutes later I took a shot to the head. The photos here were taken after three days of healing. If I was wearing my Crossfire mask this would not have happened. We all take bad shots, but the point is the 1 or 2cm of coverage I lost mattered when I specifically mentioned it. I jinxed myself and had to share the story.

http://inceptionforums.com/album.php...tachmentid=784
    The Grill coverage is about as good as any other released in the last couple years I suppose.

Not very many modern masks would have stopped that shot.

I just dont want any more forehead shots, I've fixed that by buying a hundredthmonkey.com bounce cap.

Yeah it looks dumb like a polo helmet but it does what I paid 40 dollars for it to do.

The Grill isnt too great as far as venting for air and mainly ease of communication.

As far as venting and communication, the Eflex, Vio, and I4 are probably the best.

The KLR wasnt good in that category IMHO.
    endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I liked how the KLR fits, but haven't played in them. They are small on my face though.
    Ridiculously small, but on par with the I4 and the VIO, from what I could see. There seems to be this silly trend back toward "let's make a mask as tiny as we can, and not worry too much about how much or how little it actually protects the guy wearing it, as long as it looks cool".

I tried the Eyon at LL7 and wasn't sure I was wearing it correctly. Not for me.
    The Eyon really is, structurally and dimensionally, just like the Eyes. When I tried those on back at LL3, I thought they were goofy as all heck.

I so badly want to make a new goggle. Have lots of ideas right now on how to make a better one

I think one of the best features of the Vents line is the common lens. No matter if someone runs a base Helix/Cylus, or a top of the line E-Flex, it's the same lens across the platform. Really a great design from multiple points. It keeps lens production to a minimum, which keeps costs down. It promotes commonality of function so a player can move up through the grades of masks without relearning a whole system. And it means the players only have to have one type of lens on hand, regardless of which mask they're running - great if a guy has an Avatar, E-Vent, and E-Flex all in his inventory. Come to think of it, that's also that much fewer types of lenses a store has to have on hand, too.

Quote Originally Posted by HipboyScott View Post
    What is the potential for non-mask making companies to make aftermarket masks for existing lenses? I've been batting around the concept for a while and though it's not 'stupid simple' it doesn't seem out of the realm of potentiality.

From breaking it down, seems that the lens is the most expensive aspect of a new goggle system, and the most important part in terms of safety. Based on how the Vue is so modular, it seems the rest is fairly straightforward in terms of design so long as the core lens/goggle surround is fairly ready to accept parts. I get that each variation of a mask from a manufacturer would have to be re-tested to verify it conforms to ASTM specs, but at least aftermarket companies wouldn't have to re-invent a good lens every time someone wants to come out with a new mask.

Of course people will argue which lens is superior. I personally don't care too much between all the major lenses, they all have their pros and cons: from E-whatevers to Dye to the Vue or Profiler or beyond. I think somewhere in there is a lens that's pretty-darn-close to what fits the ideal for a particular project and from there someone can tailor it to their specific application.
    If you are just adding a faceplate to a frame and lens that already exists then you might get away with it, but the original manufacturer won't be happy and you would still have to go through ASTM if you want to be compliant. Not sure it is worth it.

Besides, I think lenses have some areas to be improved also.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
    I have seen I4s for a long time, never tried them on because the price tag was simply ridiculous. Now it seems they started a trend and all goggle systems are going toward that 135+ price range. I snagged a pair to put on to use at the chrony the other day because I didn't have my gear... holy crap are those small, If I opened my mouth to yell, you could see me teeth below the mask!

I have been thinking of getting something different than my E-Flex's because the foam does not contact my face unless I wear my bounce cap with them. Tried the VIO on at LL7, and I always thougth it was a much larger mask - it most definitely is not. Rumor has it they are supposed to release a longer face portion later this year, I may revisit at that time. The goggles themselves were pretty comfortable, and the foam felt nice, but that coverage was a no go for me.

Looks like I will stick with the E-Flex's until Simon gets off his arse and makes a mask for the masses

Styg
    The cost of everything made overseas is going up. It's 50% more expensive to make stuff there now than it was 3 years ago.

I will be doing a goggle again. It's on the long term planner I don't have a set of Vio's to try out. I liked the fit of the KLR to my face, but they are small overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    Simon: At the time I assumed my reaction was due to my health issues, but I am rethinking that based on your comments and what the EMT who plays paintball and was there said. It hurt like hell, but my blood pressure dropped allot too. I slowly managed to get myself off the field, but when I did I immeadiatly had to sit down. This freaked out the organizer until I reassured him. The blood pressure went back to normal after a minute, but the whole thing was bad.

HipboyScott: I have been thinking the same thing. Designing around an existing lens could make it possible to make your own mask, even though ASTM testing is still necessary.

Simon: Seriously, send me a message. I made enquiries to some places that do new modern high tech manufacturing techniques and there is potential there for a small business to do a mask. Please talk to me about this we may be able to help each other. You may be able to give me something that would allow me to discover the answer to the question "Can we do it?" definitively.
    Thanks but I already have a plan in place for when the time is right for me to do a goggle

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    The Grill coverage is about as good as any other released in the last couple years I suppose.

Not very many modern masks would have stopped that shot.

I just dont want any more forehead shots, I've fixed that by buying a hundredthmonkey.com bounce cap.

Yeah it looks dumb like a polo helmet but it does what I paid 40 dollars for it to do.

The Grill isnt too great as far as venting for air and mainly ease of communication.

As far as venting and communication, the Eflex, Vio, and I4 are probably the best.

The KLR wasnt good in that category IMHO.
    I agree, forehead shots are the worst for me. I thought about making an integrated brow shield like I did as an accessory for the E-Vents but I don't know if the majority of people would be happy with that. They wouldn't be able to show off their headbands

I loved the brow shield that came with the Vforce Profiler mask, and in general I like that mask more than most because of its coverage. I do wish it had better foam and breathability, but coverage, visibility, and forehead protection in particular stand out well for the Profiler. I wish more masks still included a brow bouncer.

Simon: I was under the impression you thought it to be impossible due to the start up cost. Very happy to hear you have a plan.

going_home: I really wish my Crossfire googles had modern features but were otherwise the same. I loved the visor I had with them. I guessed that the Grill was going to as best for coverage area as I could hope for based on photos, sounds like I was right. Thanks for mentioning the bounce cap link, I am going to check that out right now.