Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mask Coverage

Mask Coverage

Hello. I definitely need a new mask. My JT Crossfire googles served me fine, except when I need to remove the lens, and they are getting worn in the foam. Having to spend three days with a druid casting spells and a construction worker with a jackhammer just to change out the lenses is annoying. Also, they just feel worn around the brow. The foam is less protective and it is starting to hurt a little on the forehead.

I am interested in several mask out there now. Going Home told me if you were not a glasses wearer he would recommend the Vio and they do interest me.

One issue I am unclear on is the sizes.

Would you guys please compare the coverage of your face/head that the Vio and Vforce Grill provide? If you any of you got to touch it at PB extravaganza perhaps you could say how much coverage the Eyon provides as well?

Thanks.

At the moment we have a Eyon here, its universally disliked, it is the pre-release version but... I am a fan of the i4 for looks and vio for options.
    H+
    Hustle Paintball Video Goon

Disliked for fit and comfort or just because of its appearance? The i4 looks like large googles not a mask and that worries me.

So I bought a Vforce Grill. I unexpectedly found a new one for sale at a discounted price at a charity game I attended. The convenience and priced got me to do it right then.

Was interested in other masks, but worried about their coverage. I also commented on the fact that all current masks are tiny and do not cover as well as my JT Crossfire. The Grills only had a litte less coverage and I made a comment about it.

Five minutes later I took a shot to the head. The photos here were taken after three days of healing. If I was wearing my Crossfire mask this would not have happened. We all take bad shots, but the point is the 1 or 2cm of coverage I lost mattered when I specifically mentioned it. I jinxed myself and had to share the story.

http://inceptionforums.com/album.php...tachmentid=784

That shot sucks! The powers that be wanted vengence I assume!

But, unfortunately there's no perfect mask yet. We all have too many different weird-shaped heads! What's too big for one is too limiting for another.

That's why things like the i4 are so hotly debated as either the perfect mask or... terribly ineffective.

Though, I gotta say the new batch of masks coming out are pretty cool in their own ways, though certainly don't make the previous gen obsolete! Still loving my e-vents and profits.

But I've tried all the new masks now, at PBE and then again at LL7... for me it's a pretty dead-heat between the KLR and the Vio as a good new main-stream lens, and the Eyeon is a cool novelty item that doesn't seem to fit the bill for many, but will be great for those who take the plunge. I like how it keeps pressure off the nose, but it's a big, heavy mask that is rather polarizing.

Vio feels great, a lot like Profilers, but coverage on the jaw was a little short for some (though they are bringing out a lower mouthguard piece to swap-out) and I wasn't really sold on the looks of it. (The design is ho-hum and the colored plastic looks VERY plastic-y) But the color choices and the ease of modularity and replacability of everything... top-notch concept. If you wanted to invest into a mask system, the Vio is where that money goes. In terms of all-day comfort I think it has that as well: the foam is dense stuff, and well distributed.

The KLR feels good and is lighter than almost anything out there at 10oz. Exception for comfort is right around the ears: there's hard plastic without any padding where the strap locks into the lens, and it was killing my ears after a full day of play. Note that I wear glasses, and so masks tend to put a pressure point on my upper ear because of the arms of my glasses getting pinched. But nevertheless, KLR is the opposite of how my still-loved Sly Profits treat my side-dome. Coverage though, is very good and I don't feel exposed at all. And, subjectively, I like the looks more than almost any other mask: very Cylon/Darth Vader/Hipster-stache/Figher Pilot. I like that it has some color-swap options similar to the Vio, but in practice it was time-consuming and required some tools to remove the tiny-tiny screw-posts that lock everything together, mostly because there's no way to definitely lock the 'rivet post' side from spinning. I was told to try tape and rubber... but even the tech gave up at one point and swapped me some parts when a few rivets were torqued down pretty solid. plus snap-rings! Those are a PITA. It's a mask that you can customize the way you want, but then you leave it because you aren't gonna be hot-swapping color bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros View Post
    So I bought a Vforce Grill. I unexpectedly found a new one for sale at a discounted price at a charity game I attended. The convenience and priced got me to do it right then.

Was interested in other masks, but worried about their coverage. I also commented on the fact that all current masks are tiny and do not cover as well as my JT Crossfire. The Grills only had a litte less coverage and I made a comment about it.

Five minutes later I took a shot to the head. The photos here were taken after three days of healing. If I was wearing my Crossfire mask this would not have happened. We all take bad shots, but the point is the 1 or 2cm of coverage I lost mattered when I specifically mentioned it. I jinxed myself and had to share the story.

http://inceptionforums.com/album.php...tachmentid=784
    That's one of the worst places to take a shot. I got shot there in friendly fire from a guy shooting over my shoulder as I knelt at a big game. I turned my head and "blammo"

Put me down seeing stars. The pain was insane. Put me out of play for a few house. Unfortunately I don't think many modern goggles would protect you from that

I tried on an Eyon at Living Legends. Man I thought the i4 was small. It looks decent sized in pictures but I wasn't expecting that much jaw line to be exposed. I think I'm sticking with my Proflex and hard ears.

I liked how the KLR fits, but haven't played in them. They are small on my face though.

I tried the Eyon at LL7 and wasn't sure I was wearing it correctly. Not for me.

I so badly want to make a new goggle. Have lots of ideas right now on how to make a better one

What is the potential for non-mask making companies to make aftermarket masks for existing lenses? I've been batting around the concept for a while and though it's not 'stupid simple' it doesn't seem out of the realm of potentiality.

From breaking it down, seems that the lens is the most expensive aspect of a new goggle system, and the most important part in terms of safety. Based on how the Vue is so modular, it seems the rest is fairly straightforward in terms of design so long as the core lens/goggle surround is fairly ready to accept parts. I get that each variation of a mask from a manufacturer would have to be re-tested to verify it conforms to ASTM specs, but at least aftermarket companies wouldn't have to re-invent a good lens every time someone wants to come out with a new mask.

Of course people will argue which lens is superior. I personally don't care too much between all the major lenses, they all have their pros and cons: from E-whatevers to Dye to the Vue or Profiler or beyond. I think somewhere in there is a lens that's pretty-darn-close to what fits the ideal for a particular project and from there someone can tailor it to their specific application.

I have seen I4s for a long time, never tried them on because the price tag was simply ridiculous. Now it seems they started a trend and all goggle systems are going toward that 135+ price range. I snagged a pair to put on to use at the chrony the other day because I didn't have my gear... holy crap are those small, If I opened my mouth to yell, you could see me teeth below the mask!

I have been thinking of getting something different than my E-Flex's because the foam does not contact my face unless I wear my bounce cap with them. Tried the VIO on at LL7, and I always thougth it was a much larger mask - it most definitely is not. Rumor has it they are supposed to release a longer face portion later this year, I may revisit at that time. The goggles themselves were pretty comfortable, and the foam felt nice, but that coverage was a no go for me.

Looks like I will stick with the E-Flex's until Simon gets off his arse and makes a mask for the masses

Styg