Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPA Compatibility

HPA Compatibility

Hello. Someone recently told me to my surprise I can run HPA on any marker. This sounded OK when he mentioned that if an o-ring could handle CO2 it could handle high pressure air. Then I thought about it for a minute and realized this cannot be true. They run at different pressures for one.

Anyway, I know it could be possible for some markers.

So can anyone here tell me if they think my old equipment could run on HPA tanks?

I have:
    -WGP Sniper II
    -F-1 Illustrator.

Thanks.

From my own experience, I'd say "maybe". Some of the older guns just flat-out don't work right on HPA. What kind of baffles me is that some of the same model DO work fine for other people. As an example, I've got an SL-68II, circa 1992, that refuses to get above 160fps on HPA. Some other people have said they've run similar vintage SL's on HPA with no problems at all.

I'd think your Sniper II should be fine, though, since that system is still used out and about in today's pumps. The F-1 might be hit-or-miss.

Co2 can typically create higher pressures than you will see from a high pressure output tank, especially if it's left in the sun.

The issue is that co2 and HPA flow very differently through valve systems so with some designs it can/will work and others it won't. It's not just about pressure.

Theoretically you can use HPAon anything, since the operating pressures are similar. The impli
    implementation is of course, totally different. Just as Pump Scout said, some guns canu se it with no problems, others can't.

Simon: That is why I said "for one." The reason it never occurred to me even think about asking if this was possible before the comments made to me at a game because I knew it was complicated.

Pump Scott: Weird. I would love to get an SL-68II again.

I am taking from this a general consensus that the Sniper II should be fine. If I just test it by trying am I risking anything?

The Sniper II will love HPA.

There's no risk. CO2 can get up to 2k psi in the sun without much trouble (iirc around 120 fahrenheit), the highest pressure HPA regs I'm aware of only go up to 1100. And HPA will be cake for seals designed for CO2.

Worst case scenario the illustrator just won't recock, or due to reasons Simon mentioned you'll have trouble getting up to velocity. But if someone asked me to guess I'd wager it'll work fine.

Let us know, now I'm curious

Edit: If you have trouble hitting velo use a 750+ psi output tank, especially for the Illustrator. The lower output tank regs would work on the Sniper with appropriate springs, but the Illustrator might struggle.

Edit2: I looked up the manual for the Illustrator, looks like HPA will probably work fine.

"BLOWBACK SEMI-AUTOMATIC POWERED BY
    • Compressed CO2
    • Regulated Compressed Air
    • Regulated Nitrogen"

http://www.cet.com/~sbryant/manuals/ACI/f4manual.pdf
    Last edited by PBSteve; 06-03-2014 at 12:14 AM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I have an Illustrator as well, wish I could get the thing apart to change seals... mine won't hold air.

As Steve says a higher output HPA is your best bet. Many of the standard high out puts are 850+ psi

The Illustrator was/is always finicky. Been a long time since I messed with one of those.

Back when I first started playing, there were three of us that played together pretty often. One guy used a Black Widow pump. The other used a Line SI ProMaster briefly, then an F-1 Illustrator. I had a PMI-3. The guy with the Black Widow played. The other guy and I spent a LOT of time dinking around getting our guns to work right. More time in staging messing with tools than on the field playing.

Good times. Not really, but they were fun in their own way.

PBSteve: I appreciate the effort, but that was an F4 manual, I have an F1 and there is no reference to nitrogen, etc in it.

Simon: I own an SHP regulator from Ninja I can use if I need to up the pressure. Thanks for the advice.

The weight of the Illustrator blows away the younger players now when I let them hold it. One day recently I was at the chrono station and someone yelled out with the same tone you scream in a bank "That man has a gun" the words" My God, that man has an Illustrator!". He was carrying a Phantom. I knew I was going to like that guy. Turned out he was fun to talk to and play with.

new ion: I assume you mean there is a physical problem. However, please feel free to hit me up for any advice or questions. The F-1 and I just have a connection and it is a marker I feel comfortable with and know. BTW, do you have the printed manual? Very upset I lost mine back in October. Found a scan of one online. Would like to make a better digitization sometime.

Pump Scout: I did too at first, but after I learned more about it, and markers in general, stopped having those type of problems, and now I never have a serious problem. Just need to adjust the rear trigger frame screw sometimes.

Thank you all for your advice, everyone. Now that I know it is OK to try, I will experiment with it and report back.

I would buy a printed copy of the F-1 Manual. If anyone can ever hook me up with that, please send word.