Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anodizing a Raw Kryptonite Axe Body

Wink Anodizing a Raw Kryptonite Axe Body

Just picked up a raw Kryptonite Axe body and I'm wondering if there is anything that anodizing could ruin if not masked off ?
    Taking it to a local anodizer and just want to know if theres anything special I need to point out to them.
    I dont want the body ruined.

endeavor to persevere.......

Question Simon ? Anyone ?

I'm about to take this raw body to get it turned dust black.

After looking it over I'm wondering if the area shown needs to be masked off somehow ?

Or if it will be ok to do the whole thing.

usually blind holes get plugged by the anodizer because of drainage concerns when they pull the bodies from the tanks

but the oring gland in the picture should be fine to get ano'd as is
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Thanks

Got it anodized black, the shade matched the barrel (which I took to them with the body) real good, but it had what looked like that something had been very slightly splashed on one side of the body.

He said it could be the aluminum itself that caused that, is this possible ?

Anyway they are going to strip it, bead blast it, and re-anodize it.

Hope it turns out ok.

Keeping my thumbs crossed.....

this is why I always recommend using companies that are familiar with paintball guns. Caustic Customs and F/X get my vote....watch stripping and redoing it too many times, ballers inc screwed up quite a few guns doing this...

There should be no issue just anodizing a blank body and we typically haven't had to blank off or mask anything.

There can be issues with Axe bodies if they are stripped and re-anodized though. If they aren't good/careful they can take too much off or have it affect the performance. It's why I sell raw bodies for people that want anno rather than recommend they strip and re-ano bodies.

If they are good there should be no issue. Just let them know if you can that it requires the internal bores to be kept to tolerances.

Typically issues on the cosmetic finish are down to how the body was prepped/cleaned as part of the anno process. The prep work is what makes a gun body come out well or bad.

If they are bead blasting it they should blank off the bores/holes and make sure it isn't blown into the bores. Not a huge deal but not recommended. They also don't need to do under the body where the manifold seal is. Again, not a huge deal but not recommended.

Got it back, no issues, fires fine, no leaks.

Pics would be great, I wanna see more Kryptonites in custom colors.

So when I ordered (or backordered I suppose hah) a body from Hustle, they only had the black ones available.

Anyway I had been planning to send my Axe in, once getting the kryptonite body, and having it re-done to matching colors, something like a navy dust (In fact very close to the blue of the new Mini GS). I would have started on a raw, but those weren't on offer.

So how bad of an idea is it? Am I much better off trying to source a raw somehow?