Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good guy Tesla Motors...

good guy Tesla Motors...

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-...are-belong-you

tldr; Tesla is witholding patent infringment lawsuits in an effort to advance electric vehicle technology

imagine if this philosophy was in use by one very notorious paintball company, I suspect the market would look a bit different at present

not certain if I agree with some of the opinions on patent holding, but an interesting read regardless
    Last edited by ElPanda; 06-12-2014 at 08:54 PM.
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

That is what Tom Kaye did near 20 years ago. Why make money on cornering the market when making the sport greater would benefit the entire community.

I love all the people commenting that don't understand the title reference.

Big fan of their move...just hope it won't affect the stock price too much, so far it's been a pretty good investment for me!

Well, I suspect they're pushing to get into the battery business as they just bought a couple big facilities.

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

"Yeah, he is not gonna be able to see very well Cotton!"

Doesn't this just apply to their charging device? If more people use that platform Tesla's customers can charge their cars in more locations. Seems like a good business move

Great read and I like their attitude and reasoning.

I am starting to think like this too

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

The worry I'd have is working my bum off to come up with a great idea and a great product, then having someone else patent it, and getting stuck licensing my own designs. Is that a legitimate concern, or does prior art trump that?

That is one reason to get patents and a legitimate concern but prior art is very powerful and publishing on the internet is a good way to create that prior art.

There are good reasons to get patents still, but to get into lawsuits and fight everyone isn't one of them in my opinion.