Thread: Metals other than aluminum for internals?

Metals other than aluminum for internals?

Are there any benefits to using metals other than aluminum for non-moving parts in a marker's internals ? I understand aluminum weighs a lot less than say steel or brass, but would it be worth considering using other metals? Can using other metals reduce friction or does type 3 anodizing aluminum solve those problems and save weight?

Thanks

Insider
    I've used magnesium, but it was a nightmare to source and coat, and my normal shop wouldn't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by d0cwho View Post
    Are there any benefits to using metals other than aluminum for non-moving parts in a marker's internals ? I understand aluminum weighs a lot less than say steel or brass, but would it be worth considering using other metals? Can using other metals reduce friction or does type 3 anodizing aluminum solve those problems and save weight?

Thanks
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is Aluminum is pretty baller. What you need to consider when you're designing parts isn't just strength, but rather strength to weight ratio. This is because in an effort to lose material by going to something stronger, you generally gain mass through increased density. Aluminum alloys have fantastic strength to weight ratio, comparable to steel and even titanium (which is heavier than most aluminum alloys, btw), and much more machinable. Now there are situations where Aluminum isn't great, a couple off hand are when space is at a premium or heavily constrained, or there's potential for wear. Because aluminum is softer (as well as lighter), you need to account for that.

Fiber reinforced polymers are strong and a decent option in a lot of situations, but you need to account for thermal expansion, moisture absorption, etc. They're just not as dimensionally stable as metals and generally softer, so not great for mechanical or pneumatic bits.

In terms of friction, that all comes down to seal design, surface design and material selection. Type III doesn't intrinsically solve the problem, but teflon impregnation can help (IIRC only possible on Type III). That said, a properly lubricated aluminum surface with a well designed and manufactured finish will be as slick against an o-ring as anything.

Industries much larger than paintball have settled on Aluminum alloys for similar reasons, notably the pneumatics industry and aircraft industry. None of this is to discourage you from looking for something else, if you find something cool let us know
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    Actually Steve's point reminds me of the Orange carbon Fiber bolts. Those worked pretty well, though I suspect the resin surface isn't very durable over time.

great. thanks so much for the advice/help