Thread: Question about mechanics

Question about mechanics

So from an engineering perspective are springs faster than solenoids? I've recently renewed my interest in AKA markers and was talking to a friend about the difference between Vikings and Excaliburs. I know Vikings were supposedly faster but Excals were more efficient. Is the 2 solenoid design really that much slower?

Opinions? Facts?

Mechanically, springs will offer a varied force depending on how compressed it is. The further compressed, the higher the force. They lead to fast hammer because max speed is available at the start, then the momentum helps to keep it fast.
    Air pressure differs in that the force is *theoretically* the same throughout the whole stroke. In reality there's some variance, but it's not much.

But I think the issue with slow dual solenoid markers isn't so much the mechanical properties but rather the arrangement of the solenoids. There's a lot of added delays with Exals because air pressure has to travel back through the solenoid for it to vent to the open air. If you had an Excalibur modified with QEVs it'd be fast as hell!

Kindof the same issue with a Shocker Sport, which has a further-limited ROF compared to an Excal. The Shocker bolt piston is actuated by a tiny pair of air ports leading up the middle of the body. Excals have MUCh larger air ports, but there's some added time because they use two separate four-way valves that all have to vent for firing.

To kind of add to what Ydna said a little; the preload on a spring and the spring rate makes a pretty big difference.
    Last edited by ironyusa; 07-16-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks for the input. I somehow think modding solenoids is about outside my wheelhouse, but good to know. I guess really in this day and age is the Excal really 'slow'... everything seems 15 and under now.

I do appreciate that people who know what they are talking about take the time to answer questions here. Thanks Ydna and Ironyusa.