Thread: New tank reg models uploaded

New tank reg models uploaded

Here's something for you CAD guys. I just uploaded a swathe of generic files onto my "CAD file post", of particular interest is the tank regulators that I've measured. Check it: http://www.zdspb.com/tech/misc/cadfi.../tankregs.html

I quit updating that section of my website when I decided to switch servers, but then I put it off for like 2 years. So I have a high number of outdated and missing files up on the file post. I'm slowly trying to mitigate that. But if any o' y'all has a reg not listed there, I'd love to host it! gimme!

Anyway, I saw somewhere that there's some kind of a "standard" 1mm (0.039) pin valve opening distance. hmm...

Here's a Ninja non-pro regulator with a generic ASA. everything's all fine and dandy, I'll go with your 1mm pin opening distance no problem.

Here's what happens when I place every model plus the unknown CO2 tank onto the assembly:

what the hell is this?!?!? nothing lines up! NOTHING!!

If I move all the tanks so the top of the bonnets are all aligned together, I get this:

of course nothing still lines up! nice.

Just how in the chuff does anybody expect to make a one-size-fits-all tank adapter anymore? nothing uses the same dimensions! You know what I do, I make the tank valve's opener as long as possible then give people instructions to file it down if needed. THAT'S A BAD PLAN, but what's the alternative??

IIRC ASTM spec for tank reg pins is they are required to sit flush, open at 0.06" and must give flow up to 0.10" travel.

That said, last time I spoke with him Nate at Ninja was complaining about how few of the ASA's actually provide sufficient lift, and that the spec is legacy from CO2 tank pins, and as you said the standard isn't really followed.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

yeah the pin being flush with the top of the bonnet seems to make sense. too bad it doesn't exist. lol

Was that the manuf intentions, but the pin valve seal tolerances were bad? or the angle at which they cut the pin valve was incorrect? or something? no idea.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if companies took it upon themselves to "compensate" for some "design flaw" in the ASA adapter, thereby adjusting their pin valves to be better. But then some other company designs an ASA around the altered tank, so they end up being different compared to the original ASA. And so on, so on...

it gets me thinking, nearly every one of my functional markers has a different ASA (whether they're generic on/off adapters, or proprietary ones like Mini/Axe/Crossover/09impulse/etc). it astounds me that my current 3 tank regs all more-or-less work on every gun. It's like every time I screw a tank onto the gun, I look up just as a beam of sunlight pierces the clouds to shine upon me as all the planets align in the solar system, all of which conspires to prevent my ASA from leaking. it happens every time!