Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: aluminium milling

I agree completely

they actually make damn good turned
    parts because of all the axis control you have

had to turn some replacement compound bolts for our baby lathe and the mill turned them down in no time flat

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Honestly. Your better off buying a set of proper hand-tools.... files, small rotary, etc... I know it sounds kinda cheesy, but unless you have the money to spend, the small bench models really need a ton of work, just to be able to do the smallest things. I've seen some amazing things done with only hand tools... yes it does take alot longer, but you can learn quite a bit... Just my 2 cents..
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I like to spend the money right the first time so I don't have to spend it a second time to upgrade down the road, that goes for tools and hobbies both but especially tools.
    I ALWAYS wish I would have spent more on better tools after the fact.

In short my life would suck without a knee mill. lol
    We get it. You like knee mills. They're not the only tool out there.

Money spent on quality hand tools is money spent "right" in my book. That was kind of his point, don't spend money on cheap tools... buy a level down in tech if you can't afford a step up in quality.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 11-03-2014 at 12:26 AM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    Smart ass.

Yea, look for a used Bridgeport
    Go for it, I think Walmart has that on special this week. Good luck in your quest.
    Well good for you Andrew
    Smart ass.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Insider
    I'm giving the best advice I can based on real life experience, what worth have you added to this thread to help the guy out?

I'm giving the best advice I can based on real life experience, what worth have you added to this thread to help the guy out?
    A sanity check on your advice. Inflexible advice that is beyond the time/money/effort a person has available is often more discouraging than no advice at all. And a knee mill is by no means the only hammer for this nail.

Lets give the guy options along with advice, eh?