Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a sound activated board to control circular motion?

Supports Inception Designs

Using a sound activated board to control circular motion?

Going through some preliminary designs in my head for a potential project.

Need to spin an assembly at a rate to keep up with a marker firing (some of you may know where this is headed already)

It would be super easy to do this for semi auto with switches etc. controlling things, but it gets more complicated with ramping or F/A since there's no trigger pull to start the motor turning.

The question is this:
    I know a Halo B/Reloader B board spins the motor at a certain rotational rate when it detects a shot has been fired.

Basically need to do the same thing but have more control over the motion.

Better to try and adapt the board with gears/pulleys to get the assembly spin rate correct our build my own sound sensitive circuit?

I wouldnt be using the stock motor as that is way too small, but the general principle is the same.

BtW the idea is for this:
    Last edited by skibbo; 09-22-2014 at 04:07 PM.

I bet the halo boards activate the motor for a certain amount of time, not number of rotations. Have you looked into servos? Iirc they are motors used to rotate to specific angles.

I would probably not link a start/stop servo system to load a paintball minigun. Sounds like a blender.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    I bet the halo boards activate the motor for a certain amount of time, not number of rotations. Have you looked into servos? Iirc they are motors used to rotate to specific angles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I would probably not link a start/stop servo system to load a paintball minigun. Sounds like a blender.
    Contemplated servos but I think Steve is right about the gun becoming a blender.

May do the simple thing and have it fire through the center, try to get the barrels to turn based on when it fires, so that it looks correct at least.

Yeah, I think some people have attempted minigun's before and most end up with a mock revolving piece around a real barrel. iirc there's one example of a gun with actual revolving barrels that was built by an aerospace engineer

I would probably try to build a warpfeed type system that's geared/chained to the barrels so it "meshes" as the barrels spin, and use a detent system to pass the balls from the loader tray to the barrels. Maybe a two-stage system, since you're going to have gaps between the barrels... a force feed into a disk that rotates alongside the barrels at the same rate or something. I think this is a pretty common thing in industrial automation.

IDK just spitballin'.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Makes sense to me.
    I suppose I could always just use 6 spinning ions. Big disc that spins w/holes over feednecks and one in a shroud. When they hit the right point theyre force fed a ball.
    Would take a bit of figuring so the entire thing didnt fly apart.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I would probably try to build a warpfeed type system that's geared/chained to the barrels so it "meshes" as the barrels spin, and use a detent system to pass the balls from the loader tray to the barrels. Maybe a two-stage system, since you're going to have gaps between the barrels... a force feed into a disk that rotates alongside the barrels at the same rate or something. I think this is a pretty common thing in industrial automation.

IDK just spitballin'.
    Last edited by skibbo; 09-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.

This gentleman had a combustible powered one. He had some interesting takes on loading mechanisms.

http://www.spudfiles.com/combustion-...opic20903.html

If you could build a ring connecting the breeches to block the gaps between guns/barrels and mill out each feedport into a big slot wrapping around the circumference of the breech, you might be able to use a regular force-feed loader to feed everything. At most, you'd have to cut out half the breech diam at the feedport. It should be strong enough by itself, but you'd also be able to add supports if needed.

A ring with spots for barrels to screw on could work nicely.

If you can load the barrels while the ring rotates (as tyronejk was saying) maybe with a force feed hopper and a ramp mechanism - so the hopper only needs to partially load, then the rotation of the barrels finishes the job - you could only have one firing mechanism.

Remember you don't really need a bolt going back and forth as the barrels rotate as long as the barrels have balls already loaded as they get to the valve. Put the detents in your barrel ring or use a TechT iFit kit. If you can get things to line up/seal well enough I think a single MQ style valve would work very well. Good ROF as well, and you can put a big chamber on it with a nice reg (AKA) to prevent shootdown.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon