Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5 Axis Motocross helmet...

Uggghh feel like I am in a PE vs Blast fanboy thread on PBN - Back to the awesome milling videos and pictures please!

Insider
    I understand your point, I do. But, from my perspective, if you dropped me in a time machine in 1996 (ohmygodthats18yearsagoiamancient) and told me to win a tournament series, AGD would have been at the very forefront of the options - as a tool, I prefer them to cockers. I actually think cockers are more fun to shoot, but a mag seems like a better tool to me.

The thing is, they're BOTH evolutionary dead ends. Cockers don't really have a logical modern descendant. E-cockers suffer much the same fate as E-mags - you're grafting on a bunch of extraneous stuff instead of abstracting and simplifying.

The Automag, on the other hand, is in a lot of ways a logical precursor to the "Dump Valve" style of unbalanced spool. You shouldn't be surprised it gets similar efficiency to your Geo+ - they're both dump chamber unbalanced spools. If you lower the pressure, and make the sear a pneumatic sear....they're practically the same gun (though the mag saves more chamber air due to spring equilibrium, and the Geo has a better flowpath).

Quote Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
    Uggghh feel like I am in a PE vs Blast fanboy thread on PBN - Back to the awesome milling videos and pictures please!
    Agreed. BOOM

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

OT post ftw!

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Hint Hint Simon, Warp Left Kryptonite body would be a pretty amazing upgrade from this ULE...

Hint Hint Simon, Warp Left Kryptonite body would be a pretty amazing upgrade from this ULE...
    How about getting some warp bodies for things like the axe and the mini?

Quote Originally Posted by wetwrks View Post
    How about getting some warp bodies for things like the axe and the mini?
    The problem with any cool niche product like this is how much time and work and $$ would go into them for how many would sell.

Realistically how big is the market for either of those items?

While I agree automags are no longer mainstream paintball, and no doubt the warp feed market is even less mainstream.

But neither are autocockers and you've done several of those now.

If you do a custom vert feed it might get more interest than you think.

Just saying.....

endeavor to persevere.......

speaking as a manufacturing engineer and a fan of automags...

the market for both autococker and automags is very tiny relative to the modern paintball market (tournament/scenario etc.), much moreso for mags IMO

just because a few people want a particular thing does not mean there is a high enough demand to justify the amount of time required to go through the manufacturing process

making things properly/with quality requires time, attention, and overall a significant financial investment on the part of the manufacturer all in the hopes that when the product is finished there will be people waiting at the other end to buy it all up.

widely used "mass market" products are a MUCH safer investment since the market is much more verile. I have seen many mag products on AO go bust even with heaps of people "commiting" to a purchase in pre-order threads.

I cant even count how many people have asked me to make them things (ranging from simple to laughable) and I have to explain to them why I am refusing

This one guy wanted me to make him an ASA adapter to fit a 2012 G6R ASA onto a 2013 G6R (or something like that, not familiar with G6R's). After explaining to him it would likely cost several hundred dollars and him shipping me his marker for measurements/design feasablility/fitting/testing he was much more sober. However he still assured me that many people would be interested in purchasing one if I went through the trouble of making it. I would say at least 90% of my refusals are followed up by reply's telling me how there are "so many people who would buy it".

The entire discussion is really an awkward hassle and usually within the inaugural message I can tell wether or not someone actually knows what it takes and are willing to go the distance. Most messages simply boil down to spam roughly saying "design and make me this custom part because you can, and do it for cheap because I'm broke!" Which clearly is not something any manufacturer wants to even dignify with a response.

People become somewhat detached to what actually goes into making products. They do not see why it costs so much to make one off custom parts or even small batch parts.

not that any of you guys are doing this, just venting
    Last edited by ElPanda; 10-05-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    ...After explaining to him it would likely cost several hundred dollars and him shipping me his marker for measurements/design feasablility/fitting/testing he was much more sober. However he still assured me that many people would be interested in purchasing one if I went through the trouble of making it. I would say at least 90% of my refusals are followed up by reply's telling me how there are "so many people who would buy it".
    It seems that's kindof a go-to phrase for anything looking to get parts made. I think people know this is what suppliers want to hear so they assume it to be true. From a hypothetical standpoint it might indeed be true, but there's no way to know ahead of time.

Myself I don't mind helping people out with low quantity projects like that, you never make 1 of anything, and *everything* will sell eventually although it may take a while. The question is whether you're willing to float the parts sitting on the shelf until such time as they do sell.

Ironically I think you pinpointed why there is very little aftermarket support in paintball any longer. Very few parts are standardized from marker to marker so it means literally every prospective product requires its own completely dedicated development cycle. With the prospect of making totallyu individualized ASAs, feednecks, regulators, etc...most companies just said screw it. (in combination with other factors too no doubt)