Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Gunner: Small Desktop printer?

Insider

Ghost Gunner: Small Desktop printer?

The sad part is it is designed to almost just do AR lowers.

But the build area is about 9"x3"x4" - just a bit small for a gripframe, enough to do a gun body.

https://ghostgunner.net/

Ghost Gunner
    Machinable dimensions: 175 x 75 x 60mm (~6.75 x 2.95 x 2.35")
    Maximum part dimensions: 230 x 90 x 100mm (~9.05 x 3.50 x 3.90")
    Overall footprint: 330 x 280mm (~13 x 11")
    Weight: 20kg (~45 pounds)
    Spindle Speed: 10,000+ RPM (Final Value TBD)
    Requirements: Windows 7 or higher. Mac version TBD.

$1200 pre-order and $1500 after that.

Bummer. If they'd bumped that 4" up a hair they could have really opened things up, as it is it more or less requires two piece parts.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    What is an "80% lower receiver" that it mentions numerous times? It seems like all this does is take a lower receiver that is nearly finished, and finish the last 20% of the machining?

Slightly shady how it's called a ghost gunner and one of the selling points is being able to make "unserialized firearms".

If this was able to mill a marker body though, it'd be great for prototyping at that price.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

You can't do the last 20% (at least in the US) without being a licensed firearms manufacturer. The lowers are the part that's legally considered a firearm.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    edit: Misunderstood the 80/20 thing.

Seems like the whole point of this product is to skirt around laws that are probably in place for good reason then?
    Last edited by L x; 10-02-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

You can buy the lowers already 80% complete and do the final 20% yourself.

I was wrong, you can make them, you just can't sell it (legally).

Quote Originally Posted by L x View Post
    edit: Misunderstood the 80/20 thing.

Seems like the whole point of this product is to skirt around laws that are probably in place for good reason then?
    Nope, those laws are not in place for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I was wrong, you can make them, you just can't sell it (legally).
    Actually you can sell it. You can't make it with the intention of selling it. Two different things. IE I make a lower for myself and shoot it for a while, you try it out at the range and like it so much you make me an offer on the spot. I can legally sell it. The BATFE recommends I serialize it before I sell it but there is no specific law requiring me to do so. If I sell enough that I can start to make a living at it then I'm required to be an FFL. To make and sell only occasionally or rarely no such official blessing is required.
    Destroyer of Threads

I'm missing the specs on the actual machine. I k ow it has steppers a small er-11 collet spindle and stepper motors that feed at 80ipm when in rapid.

It costs pretty much what a shreline taig kind of mini cnc does on ebay and I can't see how it's any better then one of them. Is it a 3D printer as well? I don't get it the only selling point is it seems they took or made a small cnc that they give you the gcode and some 3D printed fixtures to finish AR lowers I guess it's easier for the regular guy that just wants to do that.

Idk I'm not a gun guy so I just don't understand if I guess.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I'm missing the specs on the actual machine. I k ow it has steppers a small er-11 collet spindle and stepper motors that feed at 80ipm when in rapid.

It costs pretty much what a shreline taig kind of mini cnc does on ebay and I can't see how it's any better then one of them. Is it a 3D printer as well? I don't get it the only selling point is it seems they took or made a small cnc that they give you the gcode and some 3D printed fixtures to finish AR lowers I guess it's easier for the regular guy that just wants to do that.

Idk I'm not a gun guy so I just don't understand if I guess.
    I don't know if this is the case or not, but it seems to make the process of finishing 80% parts more automatic. I watched a video of a guy do the same thing on an X2 style mill with DRO's in about 30 minutes (either that or 60 minutes, can't remember). I'm wondering if it is all set up with speeds and feeds and you basically insert the tool, insert the part and press go. I'm really doubting that it is a CNC with a defined envelope where the user has to generate their own code in a CAM program and then set it up. Because it is likely very dumbed down, it's probably pretty limited in what it can do. 'Limited' in the terms of non-Simonisers of course.