Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Outage! Lost an entire CAD/CAM file!

Insider

Power Outage! Lost an entire CAD/CAM file!

Is there anyway to recover a file that was lost during a power outage? All my work had been saved a few seconds before the power went out, but when I rebooted my computer the file was empty is there anyway I can recover it?

have you tried obe of those card recovery programs for SD cards? I have been amazed at what those could recover

Insider
    No clue what that is...

Try a programme called Testdisk. It is open source so it was ported to Windows. Mostly used for recovery destroyed partition tables but it makes a good effort at individual file recovery as well.

Insider
    Depends on the program you use. Does it have auto backup option?

Insider
    If there was an auto backup on my CAD/CAM I would have it covered. I was thinking something like System Restore or HP has something called Recovery Manager, however I don't believe those will restore personal document files, just software. I was just wondering if there was something I may be over looking. I do have a backup of the file but I will still loose many hours of work.

System restore just uninstall programs or rolls back in case you have virus

No you cant the files get it back.

Best thing to do is.Save often and backup the files to the cloud and external/server

Insider
    Sad to say, but I think it's most likely lost then.

First up, stop doing anything on the drive, you might be writing over the data as we speak. Second, try Recuva, it has saved my ass on numerous times.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Enable deep scan and do not save the recovered files to the same drive they were pulled from.
    H+
    Hustle Paintball Video Goon

I would also go out and buy a UPS with enough power to give you at least a minute or two of up time prior to shutting down your computer in case of a blackout.

We have a UPS on any data sensitive computer in our office. I've been lazy and haven't bought one for my home PC, but the power draw is so high on it that it'd cost me a fortune for one.