Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapish High Speed Camera?

Insider

Cheapish High Speed Camera?

That is the winner, after that is the Edgartronic system for $5,000, we are looking at the FPS1000 system as well. I dont know what we are going to do with one if we do get it but goddamn if we wont find a use.
    H+
    Hustle Paintball Video Goon

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Keep an eye out on used camera forums - I've seen a couple of RedLakes go recently for around the $3k mark. Nearly bought one myself, but for now sticking with my P.O.S. Photron BC2. (Check out on a couple of sweet things coming via adobe soon, shot by me)
    There are rumors of an Arri high speed coming soon, but that would probably be even more expensive than a studio full of Phantoms!

Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    Keep an eye out on used camera forums - I've seen a couple of RedLakes go recently for around the $3k mark. Nearly bought one myself, but for now sticking with my P.O.S. Photron BC2. (Check out on a couple of sweet things coming via adobe soon, shot by me)
    There are rumors of an Arri high speed coming soon, but that would probably be even more expensive than a studio full of Phantoms!
    As an aspiring colorist, I worship at the altar of Arri, but the prices on that are going to be staggering.
    Last edited by morolen; 10-13-2014 at 03:51 PM.
    H+

Insider
    Looks like you'd get 720@550fps on the top-of-the-line model for $1500, which is pretty good if the image quality is bearable. Any higher fps and the size drops dramatically.

Once you get up into the super high frame rates, your resolution suffers greatly. At 18,500 fps, for example, you're down to just 64 x 64 pixels. But the platinum version will do 640 x 480 at 1,500 fps, which is a decent resolution for online sharing if you can get enough light into the camera. It defaults to RAW capture, but its creator Graham Rowen is looking into a software solution to output compressed video as well.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

Insider
    Different requirements though.
    HSV for industrial use doesn't need half the resolution that you media types need. In which case the FPS1000 is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by morolen View Post
    As an aspiring colorist, I worship at the altar of Arri, but the prices on that are going to be staggering.
    Staggering would probably be an understatement Have you tried some of the Red Giant Universe plugins for your coloring? I've started using them recently and they're pretty good when you pair them with Film Convert.

Jack - industrial use, with enough light and if you're ok with 480p res at 1000FPS, there's the Casio Exlim series that can push to 1000fps. Terrible quality, but might be OK for industrial use.

Going back to a pretty media side of things, 1000fps ain't all that much - Here's some B Roll that I shot at 1000FPS. (It's B roll for a reason - it's a terrible shot!)

Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    Staggering would probably be an understatement Have you tried some of the Red Giant Universe plugins for your coloring? I've started using them recently and they're pretty good when you pair them with Film Convert.

Nay, plenty of hours in Resolve and Speedgrade(yaaaaay curves, finally!) though there are many people who are lovers of film convert, I would get it for the grain presets, but as for mimicking flim looks, I would rather try to chase the look in Resolve unless I am under the gun. I wish I had my reel put together to whore out.

And yes 1000 FPS is so surreal, I was hoping to see the guy with the green Geo get a fat one to the gogs.
    Last edited by morolen; 10-14-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    H+

Haha that is literally all I use film convert for - the grain presets alone are worth the money if you're doing clienty stuff!

Resolve is also a thing of wonder. Up to about 150ish hours on it now and I'm still getting to grips with the nuances of it. I've delivered a few projects in Resovle that were shot on the D800 - always took me longer than anticipated. Then again, with work (fools, but rich university fools), time to mess around in resolve has been cut down somewhat now that I have a 1DC to get to grips with

I've also heard a few good things about the flat possibilities of the new GoPro, but don't have the money to mess around with it.