Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Pro Teams - 2015 and beyond?

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
    I don't understand how most people afford the paint usage and travel cost in PSP.

Profit margins on paint and guns needs to come up, paint usage needs to go down. Soft good seems to be where all the money is currently being made.

I remembered PSP had a tactical format where the entire team gets XXX paintballs per match, doesn't matter how you distribute it. I really liked that idea for controlling cost.

Not sure how PSP can change without pissing off majority of its teams.
    In Arizona we have the Tactical Paintball League. They do this type of format for the most part. 5 Roles (Medic, Explosives, Rocket, Sniper, Heavy) each have tasks to do during the game. Everyone gets 200 balls, except the sniper (50) and the heavy (unlimited) and it really makes the games enjoyable. Most heavies I talk to say they shoot about 3 pods and a hopper total. It depends on if they are attacking or defending because defenders only have the 3 heals that the medic can do where the attackers have 3 medic heals and a single resurection per player. Headshots take you out no matter what though.

It's so popular that it's expanded to the point where we have 4 teams in the Tucson area as well. Now, the top team from Tucson will play the top team in PHX for some good olde bragging rights.

I can get behind this...

I've been plotting a limited-paint event in Wisconsin for some time, just trying to find a field that doesn't look at me like I've grown a second head when I pitch the idea.

I, too, am hearing about teams dissolving/breaking up/whatever. It's going to be very interesting to see what shakes out over the next few months. What would be a real shame is if a long-standing team ceased to exist because they weren't ranked Pro and decided to just fold because of it. "Pro or nothing". I'm hoping those teams that didn't do well this season can look at it as a building experience. The game today isn't what it was 10 years ago, and nobody's going to hold a Pro slot just because they've got a name. Everyone has to perform, or pay the penalty. That penalty might be spending a year at D1. A team owner with long-term plans and vision will/would do the time, build the team back, and come back into Pro in 2016. We'll have to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    In Arizona we have the Tactical Paintball League. They do this type of format for the most part. 5 Roles (Medic, Explosives, Rocket, Sniper, Heavy) each have tasks to do during the game. Everyone gets 200 balls, except the sniper (50) and the heavy (unlimited) and it really makes the games enjoyable. Most heavies I talk to say they shoot about 3 pods and a hopper total. It depends on if they are attacking or defending because defenders only have the 3 heals that the medic can do where the attackers have 3 medic heals and a single resurection per player. Headshots take you out no matter what though.

It's so popular that it's expanded to the point where we have 4 teams in the Tucson area as well. Now, the top team from Tucson will play the top team in PHX for some good olde bragging rights.
    Brilliant!!!

Insider
    Sad if this happens but, I think this all has been coming for a while...it just took a decade or so for it to be plain enough for people to see.

desertT1L: I really like that idea.

The field I worked at was investigating a limited paint format on Saturdays. But we didn't really have enough volume of players the last couple of years for it to matter. A few years ago it probably wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Follow the money.

Theres only so much prize money, and it takes a lot of money in plane fares/practice paint etc, win or lose.

Could it be that salaried players and national events are on the decline ?

Maybe smaller localized events with unpaid players paying their own way are the future of paintball.

endeavor to persevere.......

Just announced that Chad Busiere is moving to Edmonton Impact - I think that's a solid sign for Impact still opening the purse strings, but Damage has lost many stars over the past few years (Bains, Jrab, Busiere, Jacob Edwards). Will they go into a rebuilding phase?

Considering the beating that Damage took from Art Chaos, I'm surprised ANY of them want to play any more. It was like the team wasn't even on the field.