Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Pro Teams - 2015 and beyond?

Some Pro Teams - 2015 and beyond?

Heard some rumors that there's going to be a few teams that are calling it quits/disbanding in the off season. Vicious, (which kinda surprised me) Heat, AC, (another surprise), XSV and 187 were names passed around... Anyone heard otherwise/want to comment?

Also looked like Bains will be moving into a coaching role as I didn't see him play a single point. He was suited up though. Sad, I like watching him play.

If this needs to be moved to insiders, that's cool. If this thread goes nowhere, that is too. I can't help but feel that XSV is probably done though, possibly moving down to D1 probably wouldn't help their current position.

Insider
    Would be sad to see XSV go because of all the history there, but can't say I didn't expect it. Funny that Thomas Taylor left them to go to Heat, who have just been bumped down too.

Has there been this much variation in pro teams performance ever before in paintball? These last couple of seasons it feels like the whole team rankings have been flipped upside down.

edit: I can't say 'flipped upside down' without singing the fresh prince song.
    Last edited by L x; 10-13-2014 at 05:57 AM.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

Im now sat in the office humming that song....thanks a lot Alex.....

This would seem to confirm a post Coach Paul put up on ViewFromTheDeadBox back in mid-september: http://viewfromthedeadbox.blogspot.c...n-decline.html

Apparently the giants of the paintball industry are reevaluating sponsorships and plans are being or will be implemented that see a further tightening of sponsorships that may mostly affect the highest level teams. According to Mr. Curious even the future existence of some pro teams is in doubt but he has yet to name names--assuming that info exists somewhere in his tortured mind. While the various industry members seem to be aware of the others intentions they aren't acting as a unified front. While each appears to be modifying past practices each is doing so in its own way and at least one industry giant has apparently begun informing their currently sponsored teams of some of the changes coming.
    What this will mean across the board to the pro teams is uncertain at this time but further belt-tightening can only make the effort to remain competitive all the more difficult. On the flipside though for the up-and-comers who have managed largely on their own so far it might make taking the next step up easier if the majority end up in the same or a similar situation. No way of knowing yet and no way of knowing to what extent sponsorship levels at the top of the game will change or the fallout those changes may bring.

187's home field, Fox 4 is up for sale. The rumor I heard is that Dave Painter's (Eddie's dad and owner of Fox/187) partners in Fox aren't happy with the money being spent on187 vs the return. No clue how much truth there is to it, but that's the word around MA.

It'd be sad to see them go, Fox 4 is one of the biggest fields in New England, and it leaves us with only one option for X-ball in New England then.

Is there ever any "return" in pro-paintball? I always saw it as a large black pit people threw money into for bragging rights.

Styg

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygshore View Post
    Is there ever any "return" in pro-paintball? I always saw it as a large black pit people threw money into for bragging rights.

Styg
    This. The disconnect between "pro" airball teams and the average rec player has never resolved itself to me.

I don't understand how most people afford the paint usage and travel cost in PSP.

Profit margins on paint and guns needs to come up, paint usage needs to go down. Soft good seems to be where all the money is currently being made.

I remembered PSP had a tactical format where the entire team gets XXX paintballs per match, doesn't matter how you distribute it. I really liked that idea for controlling cost.

Not sure how PSP can change without pissing off majority of its teams.
    Last edited by noclue119; 10-13-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Styg
    I just assumed when I heard that that it was more they aren't winning.

Styg
    I think to some extent sponsorship does drive gun purchases, whether or not there is a return on investment seems dubious.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon