Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Some Pro Teams - 2015 and beyond?

I think it's partially a revolt in response to the recent rule changes.

Insider
    Naaaaa. It's all funding or support.

I really don't think most players care about much about the rule change.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMBROWN View Post
    For alot of us Damage players this came as somewhat of a surprise. After talking to everyone on the team. We all intended on playing paintball in 2015. Damage didn't fold or quit because of any rule, in fact the guys were just playing last week with their guns adjusted to the new settings. CJ has been the owner of the team since its inception and for that we are grateful. CJ hasn't even played paintball in maybe 2 yrs? So It's easy to understand why he chose not to help fund the team any longer. We are all thankful for what CJ has done for us over the years.

For us players, as far as I know we all intend to play in the psp 2015.

Thank you all for the kind words. Some of the best moments in my life we're when I played for Damage. It's sad to see it go away, alot of the players on our team have all known each other since we were about 15 or 16 yrs old. The likelihood of us ever being able to play together appears to be slim and that is what hits me the hardest.

Daniel Holliday
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Lol, I actually don't care. Everyone knows the rule change was so dynasty and xfactor sweep the series.

If the rule change was left at uncapped semi I could see certain teams having an advantage over others. Since it is a new type of code for the boards no one really has the advantage now.

I assume that DYE budget lines towards TBD got thinned out and the team owner just felt that the cost of having the remaining all star players combined with the lack of return of any income from investment left to only one decision but to fold the team.

Two Pro DYE teams dropping leaves not much mobile billboards (players on the field) for one of the largest companies with the most control in the PSP. Will be interesting to see if the budget line for the webcast also gets slashed a bit at some point this season.
    Proudly Brought To You By: ThisISPaintball, Pinnacle Paintball, PaintballPhotography.com
    Seasons Past:
    Spikes 5150, Spikes Fuel Xtreme, Mystic Warriors, Birmingham Bulldogs, Inro-MORTIFIEURS, ChopShop, SportAgressor Russia, Buffalo CRUsh, Malmo Furious, Canadian Response & Canadian Express

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisISPaintball.ca View Post
    If the rule change was left at uncapped semi I could see certain teams having an advantage over others. Since it is a new type of code for the boards no one really has the advantage now.

I assume that DYE budget lines towards TBD got thinned out and the team owner just felt that the cost of having the remaining all star players combined with the lack of return of any income from investment left to only one decision but to fold the team.

Two Pro DYE teams dropping leaves not much mobile billboards (players on the field) for one of the largest companies with the most control in the PSP. Will be interesting to see if the budget line for the webcast also gets slashed a bit at some point this season.
    I wouldn't be surprised if its the last year we see it. I talked to Matt at the beginning of last year and he said they were just getting by with what they had.

Yeah the webcast has always been loosing money since there is no outside of the industry funds coming in though it. I am sure that they had assumed they could use the numbers of viewership to pitch it to a network or larger media company. The issue with watching the matches is that there is no understanding of what it takes to be a Pro player, what amount of funding that goes into a team and in general how much time is spent on the road.

I had the idea to do a pitch to some companies to follow around a handful of current pro and upcoming players but there just is not even enough support within the industry to have this undertaken to market the sport to a larger demographic.
    Proudly Brought To You By: ThisISPaintball, Pinnacle Paintball, PaintballPhotography.com
    Seasons Past:
    Spikes 5150, Spikes Fuel Xtreme, Mystic Warriors, Birmingham Bulldogs, Inro-MORTIFIEURS, ChopShop, SportAgressor Russia, Buffalo CRUsh, Malmo Furious, Canadian Response & Canadian Express

Quote Originally Posted by ThisISPaintball.ca View Post
    Yeah the webcast has always been loosing money since there is no outside of the industry funds coming in though it.
    I am not so sure this is true. I think it is just the rhetoric they want you to hear.

Say the PSP had to actually pay the webcast a serious chunk of money to broadcast their events (certainly enough to cover the cost of them attending the event) and then the webcast sold 4,000 pay per views and took all the revenue from that themselves...

Would you still think it was losing money?

Something I've always wondered about, too. My understanding is that while sponsorships are a big help to pro teams, the bulk of the money to run the teams comes from the owners. The Bortols with DSS. CJ Botsales with his PVC company. Sarge looks to work with the oil business? Bart Yachimec's car dealerships. I don't know how on earth Rich Telford kept XSV funded over the years.

So, if the owners of the teams are the primary financiers, why not advertise their own companies as the most prominent "sponsor" on the team's jerseys and such? Vicious always had a reference to DSS, but even that became a reference to the store rather than the actual software company. It doesn't seem to make sense to me to invest that much in a pro paintball team and get zero return on that investment whatsoever... to the point where the above examples, other than DSS, I had to look up and hunt for.

Simon it was mostly meant as the cost of the broadcast van + all the equipment invested to pull off the broadcast. Maybe by now they have more funds rolling in but for how many years was the webcast free? The 'increase' in sales from the ads companies show most likely has not helped DYE recover those funds let alone keep a somewhat stable transition out from the drop in the paintball market in general.

On other news Empire's flagship team has acquired Alex Goldman for the 2015 season so I am sure that is even more signs of how poorly DYE is doing.
    Seasons Past: