Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to happen to speedball to keep it relevant?

Good ideas skibbo.

So I've thought about it and backed down on the magfed/mixed markers idea.

Primarily because magfed just isn't ready for primetime. Besides the almost complete lack of magfed markers that actually work well, the inconvenience of loading magazines and the cost thereof is a problem. Better to have a pods-per-point limit setup. 7 for the team to share between the five as they please.

Lurker I understand your reasoning but I don't see how 6 tiers of timed scoring is going to work any better than two. The complexity/benefit equation doesn't work out and I'm still not sold on time limits as a mechanism in the first place. Simple but well designed rules which lead to emergent complexity are better than complex rules, because they smooth the learning curve among other things. The same applies to almost any type of game from board games to sports and videogames.

Scott the issue then becomes about how to film it, and how sideline spectators can watch. Open topped buildings with high cameras goes some of the way, but you still sacrifice live watchability.
    Last edited by vijil; 01-25-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Insider
    There is no added functional complexity to score multiple tiers of timing.

- - - Updated - - -

That said Steve proposed some limited paint formats that might be even better

Functional no, but makes it harder to explain and logistically harder to manage.

I'd add it if other methods didn't go far enough. Maybe two or three tiers.

I saw one format where it started as hopperball, but extra pods were laid around the field. Want paint? Move. Looked fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by vijil View Post
    Functional no, but makes it harder to explain and logistically harder to manage.

I'd add it if other methods didn't go far enough. Maybe two or three tiers.

I saw one format where it started as hopperball, but extra pods were laid around the field. Want paint? Move. Looked fun.
    Sounds cool. Put paint in 2 knuckle of snake, or a decent amount at the 50, etc. Make people fight for field position. Gives you locations to focus on as well; vs 5 guys shooting at each other.

This article made me think of this thread.

http://gizmodo.com/the-nhl-will-use-...isi-1681354857

That's actually very much what we're going to do with one of our events this coming year. Entry includes paint costs. Everyone goes into the game with an empty hopper, no pods, no pack, no tubes, no paint. Paint is pre-positioned on the field. If you want paint, you go to where it is. If you shoot it all, you move to where another pod is.

10991181_906655206031407_539935353370808400_n.jpg

See this?

The millenium seem to be hinting at a major format changeup, calling it the "biggest change since xball".

I'm hopeful

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    That's actually very much what we're going to do with one of our events this coming year. Entry includes paint costs. Everyone goes into the game with an empty hopper, no pods, no pack, no tubes, no paint. Paint is pre-positioned on the field. If you want paint, you go to where it is. If you shoot it all, you move to where another pod is.
    I've always wanted to play a match like this. Sounds really fun.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    I'm not seeing how you'd call that paintball if no one has paint ...

Seems like it would be more interesting for the players if they were allowed at least 10 paintballs to start.

http://210paintball.com

Last edited by going_home; 02-19-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    endeavor to persevere.......

we used to do 3 man 10 ball tournaments. very fun, very cheap

by the end games last about 20 seconds tops.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    It's like hunger games with guns.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin