Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: What needs to happen to speedball to keep it relevant?

when you have that little paint, there is no defense. you just stay on the move, and see who can run and gun the other down first haha.

its a fun as hell time though.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    It's like hunger games with guns.
    That would make a very interesting scenario game...

You start out with no guns, no paint, no team. After that, last man standing wins.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I'm not seeing how you'd call that paintball if no one has paint ...

Seems like it would be more interesting for the players if they were allowed at least 10 paintballs to start.
    We're going to run some internal trial runs as soon as we're warm enough here to get it done. Video of the escapades will be taken. If it doesn't play well, we'll either adjust the concept or flush it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by L x View Post
    It's like hunger games with guns.
    Funny you should mention that. That's exactly what we're calling it. The idea here is to have a number of events that are all different formats. Any doofus can put on a 3-man or 5-man tournament, but we want to do something different... we're even going to call it the Something Different Series, assuming we can launch it. The formats won't be specified right out of the gate, but the names of each event will provide a hint to what the twist is. I've got about a dozen different ideas sketched out, some better than others. The only one we'd give advanced notice on is our 19th Amendment game. For that one, it's going to be 3-man... but if you've got a female player available, you can field three men and one woman.

I'd hope you'd let 2 men and 2 women fly as well :P
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Of course!

We were thinking of trying something similar here, calling it "Experimental Paintball Series" or something. We'd try a whole pile of alternative formats and people could rate them afterwards.

Another thing I'm keen to get off the ground is a traditional sports model where local teams sign up and then play against one other team every two weeks or so. Probably a touchdown line/xball style format.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Insider
    Something like that definitely needs to happen. I'd love to get a format discussion forum going in here where you can rigidly propose a format and people can rate/sample it.

A few field owners sharing data could quickly optimize this stuff, IMO
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Insider
    I'd like to see a square field (bunkers mirrored horizontally and vertically in plan view) with 4x 3man teams. Goal being to get as many opposite flags as possible.

Would make tactics really interesting when you have to consider which team to attack / defend against.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

I'd still like to take a 40 acre woods plot, a dozen players, four flag stations with a flag for each player. Every player gets a JT ER2 package. Gun, 5 tubes, 2 12-grams. Everyone starts on the edge of the land, and recreate the first game of paintball.

Insider
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately...what do we need to do to keep speedball relevant...
    I posted a video from youtube that I saw this morning on my fields facebook page. It was a video of the 2002 chicago open.

The reason I find it relevant is that it reminded me of a time when everyone was playing... literally everyone...young and old...
    The overall package/experience that the promoter offered was no where near what it is today...and to a certain extent I guess the costs were reflective of it... but, that video really made me start thinking of what really made us want to change so much that literally competitive paintball became unaffordable to play and maintain a group/team? It's clear that competitive play is down across the board... I think we all agree on that.

I would like to think that maybe the paintball bubble burst (along with many other things in the last 8-10 years or so...) and this is all a reflection and the washout of it....or we grew too much too fast essentially ...but, to me I think it's deeper than that.
    I don't know how I can express it at the moment but everything about that time period just is so alien to today's times. It's just not the same...no where near.

Maybe if we can tap into more of what made paintball back then work, maybe it will work again in todays times???

I mean.. there will always be the person who believes we need a game that is driven by the sport aspect....and then there will be the person who believes in more of the competition aspect.... I think in that 1998-2002 era the competitive side of paintball had the best of both worlds.
    If we went back to some of those ideas would we be giving up things we have today? I'd say probably so... but, is it worth the bigger picture of what could be? Possibly...?

my 2 cents on a friday night in -10 degree weather.....