Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slow motion milling/drilling

Insider

slow motion milling/drilling

I thought this might interest some people in here.

Wayne
    Holy inserts Batman on that first one.

chip formation analysis is a fascinating and useful science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRuSYQ5Npek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqHj_v8xWg
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

actually such research has lead to me to often thought experiment about the notion of super sonic machining. ie, machining a material faster than its compression wave propagates, and thus, you would see none of the inherent negatives associated with plastic deformation of the material. rough calculations i have done makes such a cutting tool pretty insane, ie 1m cutting radius, 300krpm+ type stuff.

need a couple million dollars to build a prototype, but i imagine if it could be done, one could cut with surface finishes better than polished or ground surfaces. assuming of course your machines error motion was on the order of ~100nm or so.

.... all in a days work ....
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 11-12-2014 at 05:01 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    Only slightly related; since it applies to things being made.

Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Love a bit of slow mo. Macro slow mo is even better! Do people/companies actually pay to have their chip formation analysed?

The reason I ask is that I have a Phantom (Miro LC320S with the PL mount for when Morolen comes along) coming in my direction once they clear their backlog and potential work is always an opportunity to play with lenses and different setups

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    I thought this might interest some people in here.

I love videos like this.

It's fascinating because I have made all kinds of chips, and then watching the video you get to see what caused a chip to be a certain size or shape. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    Love a bit of slow mo. Macro slow mo is even better! Do people/companies actually pay to have their chip formation analysed?
    Not that I have ever known. Toolmakers like to show the videos of their tools cutting though.

Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    Do people/companies actually pay to have their chip formation analysed?
    well that depends. most do not. some do.

cutting science, in order to maximize material removal rate is key in several industries, such as aerospace. where making large titanium pieces with massive cut times (like 30+ hours) is fairly normal. here, even a 5% increase in material removal rate saves tens of thousands of dollars. so figureing out ways to remove the most amount of material per unit time is key.

i won't go into specifics cause its touching a bit too close to what i do, but yes, companies, the government, lots of folks are interested in understanding the mechanics of cutting and chip formation to improve surface finish, form error, and productivity. these arn't your 5 haas CNC machines on an industrial flat down the street companies no. Lawrence Livermore, Oak Ridge, 3M, Dow, big boys doing fundamental scientific research ... these kind of guys are interested in this stuff.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 11-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Insider
    cutting edge science
    Had to.