Thread: Largest structure ever to be...

Largest structure ever to be...

... chromed. It's a 50 foot Lombardi Trophy, being unveiled today at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Weighing in at 14.5 tons, this monster trophy will be featured in the lobby/entryway of the stadium. One more really good reason to visit Green Bay again.

The way I understand the chroming process, they have to dip it into a vat of chemicals. Gotta wonder how they achieved this without welding - as the chrome would blue from the heat.

They would have had to have made a massive vat to dip the entire unit into, hoisted by some large crane.

But from the text it's implied it's made of 10 major external parts so I suppose it could all be bolted up flush internally.
    Last edited by HipboyScott; 11-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Football!

true chrome plating is similar to anodizing in that the part is suspended in a bath of acid and given a charge(about where the similarity ends) and chrome is dissolved into solution from nuggets or ingots, the dissolved chromium is drawn to the part which is given the opposite charge, thus plating the workpiece

to truly chrome a piece that large would take a vat of greater size, but since I doubt it was transported there in that state I think it is safe to assume that the statue is comprised of several smaller pieces that simply bolt together as HipboyScott suggested
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

there are chrome and other electro-chemical tanks plenty large enough to do this kind of thing, esp if its in pieces. i personally have seen tanks large enough for a whole car to be dipped.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Supports Inception Designs
    Just need a huge statue of Rodgers hoisting it up in the air.
    Wonder if they'll ever show the inside.