Thread: Drawing Feednecks

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)

Drawing Feednecks

So, I'm mildly bored and slightly fed up of staring at pig dissection videos (yeah, don't you wish you had my job?) and thought I'd try my hand at actually designing an entire marker, from scratch. I'll almost certainly never build it, and I haven't used Solidworks to any degree apart from when I've been in 6th Form and bits for my Dad when he's working on not-too-important stuff.

One thing I always have an issue with is drawing/extruding feednecks. They've always got a little "shelf" - I have no idea how to design/draw a feedneck that doesn't have this and I'm kinda stumped. Any insight would be helpful.

This is more of a brain dump/mental exercise/attempt to stop going insane in the winter - so if you think I'm doing stuff and it's completely wrong, let me know. I wanna work on it.
    Have a picture of what I'm on about. Circled (badly) in red:

Solidworks.jpg

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by emisnug View Post
    So, I'm mildly bored and slightly fed up of staring at pig dissection videos (yeah, don't you wish you had my job?) and thought I'd try my hand at actually designing an entire marker, from scratch. I'll almost certainly never build it, and I haven't used Solidworks to any degree apart from when I've been in 6th Form and bits for my Dad when he's working on not-too-important stuff.

One thing I always have an issue with is drawing/extruding feednecks. They've always got a little "shelf" - I have no idea how to design/draw a feedneck that doesn't have this and I'm kinda stumped. Any insight would be helpful.

This is more of a brain dump/mental exercise/attempt to stop going insane in the winter - so if you think I'm doing stuff and it's completely wrong, let me know. I wanna work on it.
    Have a picture of what I'm on about. Circled (badly) in red:

Solidworks.jpg
    Check out some of YDNAs stuff on zdspb, should help. I usually match the feedneck bore to the body bore, which means the shelf goes away. Also, cutting to the center of the main bore should help, vs a certain distance. I haven't done a ton of full body design though.
    I do have an actual feedneck drawn, it's a reverse engineered Etha feedneck. I can post the files after work.

Pig Dissection videos? If it pays the bills bro.
    H+
    Hustle Paintball Video Goon

Pays most of 'em. Paintball is funded through a different job

Skibbo - ZDSPB is my go-to resource! I freaking love that site. The shelf issue still persists though: If I, for example, set my body bore and my feedneck bore at 18mm and extrude the cut through to the mid plane, there's still a shelf, so I'm still a bit confused.

Supports Inception Designs
    Pays most of 'em. Paintball is funded through a different job

Skibbo - ZDSPB is my go-to resource! I freaking love that site. The shelf issue still persists though: If I, for example, set my body bore and my feedneck bore at 18mm and extrude the cut through to the mid plane, there's still a shelf, so I'm still a bit confused.
    Huh thats strange. I can check ot out if you want.
    Did a quick sketch at work in Inventor (hence the phone pic of screen vs screen capture) using 18mm (because you mentioned it) and didnt have the issue. I'll try it with Solidworks at home tonight. Could you use a revolve/hole with a pointed end? Might help.

Last edited by skibbo; 12-03-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skibbo View Post
    Huh thats strange. I can check ot out if you want.
    Did a quick sketch at work in Inventor (hence the phone pic of screen vs screen capture) using 18mm (because you mentioned it) and didnt have the issue. I'll try it with Solidworks at home tonight. Could you use a revolve/hile with a pointed end? Might help.
    Depends on the bore you're using on the breech.

Unless he's talking about a shelf from the feedneck to the body, in which case I'd say yeah there's a shelf there and no it doesn't matter.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Revolved cut instead of extruded cut solved the issue. Restarted Solidworks, installed 6871671 updates, tried again, and it's all good.

Cheers for the help guys! I'll probably post up with yet another Solidworks related problem soon enough

Better to model it with a revolve that way. Imagine the cut being made by a spherical cutter, which is ideal for that particular feature as a result!

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    Better to model it with a revolve that way. Imagine the cut being made by a spherical cutter, which is ideal for that particular feature as a result!
    Another very useful bit of advice!

As per the advice in this thread, here's the result now.

Feedneck.jpg

Now... about designing a bolt assembly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ydna View Post
    Another very useful bit of advice!

As per the advice in this thread, here's the result now.

Feedneck.jpg

Now... about designing a bolt assembly.....