Page 373 of 418 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Alcohol is a trash drug for self moderation generally. It is just such a great social lubricant for the introvert, though.

I really love being a 240 pound lightweight, a single quality beer of decent strength puts me in a great headspace and feels net-positive. I notice anything beyond 2 drinks the next day, though. Our corporate culture is fairly beer-centric, and we have a few zymurgists on staff, so there's usually good stuff on a Friday afternoon.

Also I enjoy the anecdote that begins with confidence in your mixology and ends with making a "Manhattan" with dry vermouth and an orange, for some reason. Props for owning it.

I'd recommend just having a few high quality bottles of whiskey/scotch on hand, sans any adulterant accouterments. It's a super easy neg to hate on cocktails - "that's for children".

related:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06423-5
    i mean usually a Manhattan has orange peel in it right? i seriously learned everything i know about mixing drinks from the internet, and the recipe i found had orange peel :shrug:

alcohol is a shit drug for sure. its just so socially accepted and integrated into everything so seamlessly, its hard to get around it honestly.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I really don't like the smoky taste of scotch, but it's fascinating to read about why it has that character in the article Ryan linked to. If you get the right bourbon, you can avoid the smoky taste and instead have something sweeter and more akin to caramel. My own experience there would be with Bookers by Jim Beam and Elijah Craig by Heaven Hill.

i can tolerate gin cocktails, but by and large brown drinks are just like non-starters with me. my brother got heavily into scotches, and kassy and now martina (no relation to the russian spy) are both into bourbon.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Alcohol is an investment to enjoyment. You find a drink and stick to it. I love Long Island Ice teas. 5 clears & a dash of coke(the drink, not the powder). But i do not need to have vodka, gin, rum, tequila and triple sec on hand. Plus, i rarely need to drink at home, where some honey jack over ice will do nicely.

But having a complicated brown liquor is like making a Beef Wellington, chicken marsala, eggs Benedict or really any meal that requires more than 1 ingredient by your logic. You should imbibe because you enjoy it, not because its mixed drink or what other people seem to enjoy but you don't. Expand your mind and enjoy what life has to offer.

Insider
    I've been switching back and forth lately between rye old fashioneds and the classic martini (with rye vodka), and garnishing the martinis with cocktail onions instead of olives.

Took a mixology class on our cruise in December, which was pretty fun.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

I know it's not a common additive, but I see absinthe often show up in the recipe for an old fashioned which makes me not want to try it. I'm still not there on both the anise flavor and implications of psychotropic response. Therefore, I pretty much always move a different direction from wanting to have an old fashioned. If it's a good enough bourbon, straight or slightly iced works. If not a good bourbon, I'm a fan of crème mixtures like egg nog or chocolate milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I've been switching back and forth lately between rye old fashioneds and the classic martini (with rye vodka), and garnishing the martinis with cocktail onions instead of olives.

Took a mixology class on our cruise in December, which was pretty fun.
    I believe that is called a Gibson or Gimlet but who cares as long as you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    I know it's not a common additive, but I see absinthe often show up in the recipe for an old fashioned which makes me not want to try it. I'm still not there on both the anise flavor and implications of psychotropic response. Therefore, I pretty much always move a different direction from wanting to have an old fashioned. If it's a good enough bourbon, straight or slightly iced works. If not a good bourbon, I'm a fan of crème mixtures like egg nog or chocolate milk.
    Modern Absinthe has much of the potency taken out(i want to say it was opium, but not quite sure-off the top pf my head) because the makers want to make money on it by export. I believe that in the early 20th till up to the 60s(wow, that sounds so weird to say it), many countries put import bans because of it. I do know Ouzo from Greece was mixed with heroine in the distillation process which real Greek ouzo packed such a punch. Which in real old ouzo or certain greek blends, you see "floaters" in it, which is like the gava worm eating yiu after you finish the bottle, lol

So in order to get any market share from exports(other than legal and illegal smuggling, they really had to take out the psychotropic effects to get it legal in many countries. Also, with everything moderation shouldn't have much of an effect other than being an alcohol.

But history of wprld alcohol is a fascinating subject, one where there is not much known. Hell, even the results from soviet influences over Eastern Europe is crazy(taking traditional beverages but changing them because Soviet russians didn't like them)

Edit: acter some quick reading, what i know about absinthe is more of the "fake history" than the truth. True absinthe has 3 ingredients and is much more like sambuca than anything else. The alleged psychotropic effects were made up-think more along the lines of reefer madness, and other than being a very strong alcoholic spirit(which in preparation dilutes this with plain water) but can bring out more taste to the cocktail.

So in reality, its no more potent than any other alcohol mixed drink. So fiction was 180° from the truth. I learned something today...
    Last edited by Nobody; 02-23-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Absinthe is distilled from wormwood, which is where it gets it's very mild hallucinogenic effect.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

i always wanted to date a derby girl, this new relationship is really shaping up well.