Page 147 of 418 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

You'd still want a mass storage hard-drive, but dropping the operating system and a few big programs that would benefit from the load time on the SSD.

Most times, when you buy a new SSD they will give you drive migration software.

Yeah, and with multiple TB drives as cheap as they are ... it's just crazy.

Do people still mass torrent all the things and horde them on HDDs for probably-never-watching-again?

I used to have a Tb or so that I filled, but since netflix etc. I've deleted it all... I barely fill 500gb of my 1tb lappy these days and that includes my 3D and HD video work. It could probably stand a spring clean too.

That said I don't game any more - some games are pushing 50Gb for an install these days. Maybe that's where most of my space has been freed up.
    Last edited by vijil; 06-02-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

I have a 3 TB RAID1 NAS that has... ~1.8TB of media. Almost every day I'm watching something. Usually Top Gear reruns, but still. I'm hording everything I can

There's enough that Netflix et al still don't have, but if something sits for a month and never gets watched I'll delete it. I figure if later on I decide I want to watch it it's still out there.
    I don't know, fly casual

i store almost nothing locally. whats the point?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i store almost nothing locally. whats the point?
    Immediate and offline access. Not everyone has access to a fast, relaible connection. Fuck Comcast. And Verizon, for abandoning Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Immediate and offline access. Not everyone has access to a fast, relaible connection. Fuck Comcast. And Verizon, for abandoning Baltimore.
    just wait until comcast and time warner get there way

they are paying GOP politicians all day to protect there oligopoly and create a monopoly.

#everythingisactuallypolitical
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I started storing everything locally when I was (well, I'm back here, but that's not the point) living at my Mom's. She's living in a rural part of BC, and the fastest internet I get now is 3Mbps. While at university, I got 25 minimum. While in highschool here at my mom's, I'm 100% certain the internet was MUCH slower - if I wanted to stream a movie, I'd have to start it hours beforehand. So I figured that if I have to wait this long for a movie, I might as well keep it. Plus this way I can watch all the media I want, and not have it count against my internet cap.

I hate most ISPs.