Page 188 of 418 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

I'm temporarily back in Wisconsin, for some reason I remember -5 feeling colder than this.

That said I miss the cloud of moisture that was sucked from my body when I stepped outside this morning.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i could seriously run my mr2 on hoosiers all day, every day, and it would still be cheaper than running a street tired corvette. and faster. 15 inch wheels/tires are simply the best.
    15 is the sweet spot - I have a spare set of 14" basketweaves for the e30 that I keep trying to find slicks for, but literally no one makes them in the correct size anymore. JEGS actually shipped me the only one they had left in stock when i ordered 2. As far as I can tell, it's the last one on the planet.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

hoosier makes 13 and 14 inch slicks, might be bias ply though.

seriously, it blows my mind, esp on a 3200+lbs car, you are going through probably 2 sets of tires a season, if you do track days as well as autocross. and you are seriously limited in your rear tire selection because the two hot tires, don't come in many 19 inch sizes, and when they do, like $texa$ dollars. 3 or 4 grand a season to run a vette on streets.

i can buy a full set of hoosiers for my mr2 for a grand, they last me a season, i can buy a set of of the best street tires, which are common and cheap in 15, for 500 bucks. or i can have a set for nationals, just scrubbed in, prime set, and still pay about half what a vette would cost to run.

all while being faster. the math just doesn't work out any other way.

17 is the next decent size for tires. stay off 16s, 18s, 19s or 20s (dear jesus).
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-06-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    The Michelin Cup2's lasted really well on the GT4. We got about 6000 miles of road and track out of the rears and still had loads left on the fronts that we replaced at 8000 miles.
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    The Michelin Cup2's lasted really well on the GT4. We got about 6000 miles of road and track out of the rears and still had loads left on the fronts that we replaced at 8000 miles.
    idk what you guys get for tires out there, but a lot of our racing series mandate a 200TW rating for "street tires"

so this tend to create two large groups of tires ran ... the most competitive for the condition 200TW "street tire" and an R-comp or slick. with very little in between. and that 200TW rating, is of dubious test method at best, and totally whatever the tire company wants to put on the side of the tire. so even though the cup2 is rated in te US as 180TW (indicating its softer than a 200), it actually wears slower, and is harder than most of the 200TWs.

a tire like a michelin cup2, is actually more of a street tire, than something like a bridgestone RE71R, or BFG rival S. the michelins seem to be more geared for the highest performance in an OEM application, which means they deal with wet and cold better than the true top tier "street tires" which are specifically recommended against driving in even in the rain.

compared to:

or

also a tire like an re71r is cheaper, and as i said, faster. limited availablity in sizes for the RE71R is a key reason why super street class cars (like the 997GT3 and GT4) dip in and out of competitive, based mostly on what tire they can mount.

now, in the non-street tire category, the king is the hoosier A7:

love me my hohos ... they are touchy little guys however. while hoosiers are much more expensive and touchy, it is nice that there is really only one choice, which means everyone is on the same tire.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-11-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

All this talk of tires, and I just wanted these back in the day...

currently running some X-ice3s on my miata, fantastic tire i think:

for a daily driving winter tire, its fantastic. wears well, even has pretty good dry pavement manners.

what i need for ice racing though is some hakkapolitias, they are WAY faster on ice.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-11-2017 at 10:27 AM.

I prefer these:

Will be running again when my truck needs new treads.

Insider
    My buddy used to pick up used tires from his track friends, and he always found me sets of great tires for daily driving.

Ran Pilot Sport PS2 in front and the Sport Cup in the rear for quite a while, 17", on my Acura. Did have one Sport Cup sidewall totally disintegrate on me (3/4 of it just failed) a day after I blew up and down Chuckanut Drive.

Would love to have something to justify those tires again.
    Last edited by pbjosh; 01-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

my front passenger tire just went flat yesterday, had to throw the spare on it

downside of moving away from my family is I not longer have access to my dads lift and tire machine

called Costco to see about getting a quick tire change done, they can't even buy my tire size any more, said every manufacturer generally moved away from 14"

I'll be damned if I am buying new rims, gotta be a shop around me that has my size or at least willing to mount and balance cause I can find my size online easy

only gotta last another 2 years for that new ranger
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.