Page 356 of 418 FirstFirst ... 256306346354355356357358366406 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,560 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Yikes, I'm not the litigious type but when house sized money is involved it might be a good idea to get a lawyer involved. Did you have a 3rd party inspector in to look for mold/rot/foundation damage?
    Last edited by PBSteve; 10-14-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

We have lawyers involved.. our real estate lawyer. The sellers side takes forever and their lawyer is uncooperative. We threatened to take them to small claims and that lit a fire under their asses...

Took a week to get them to take their crap (mostly) out - when we mentioned small claims they were here next day. Now just to work through the appliances.

We knew about the door issues... Kind of. Knew there were issues, but nobody could have known the extent of the problem without taking it apart. My dad works for a plumbing & HVAC company basically as their general contractor. He did the inspection, pointed out the door and some other issues.

It's a semi-detached place, so think townhouse. They're all foundationally one building, and all actually solid. No water or any foundational issues

man, i just bought my 3rd NA 1.6 ... this time fully built for STS autocross. its still nominally a street car ... but just goes to confirm just how bad a "race car for the street" really is. i mean a proper race car like my spec miata is total garbage at anything other than wheel to wheel racing, this STS car is next to totally useless as well, despite nominally still being a car. its not the super stiff springs, it has some pretty baller shocks on it to keep the ride nice, its the race seat, the full poly/delrin bushings, solid motor mounts (ugg), super touchy clutch, and it even has a cat back, but the drone is terrible ....

she is fast though, last two events my codriver in it has been the fastest car (excluding go-karts etc). i was only 2 tenths off him at the last one too. freaking pulls too, easly 15 more hp than either of my other two miatas (makes sense cuase more mods are allowed by the rules).

love the car, but another reminder on the road of "purpose built cars are actually only good for what they were purpose built for"
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    Moved into the house last week.

Been a nightmare. Their shit was still all over the place (estate sale) and many of the appliances don't work. They broke the agreement in so many ways.... Found out about a rental appliance (water filter that is currently turned off...) That wasn't listed either. Also found out from the estate executor that the house was supposed to be sold as is, not like a normal sale. Obviously their realtor didn't get the memo and they signed off so not my problem(kind of?)

Anyways... Took out the sliding door today, replaced some rotten frame pieces. Have torn out all carpets on living floors (basement renos will be much later) and have done much of the required filling and sanding so we can paint. 7 days to go(took vacation for this) and lots of work still remains.

On the plus side, ordered new washer/dryer from Home Depot, found the exact models for sale for $50 less each in store. Got the refund, that was nice. Had to redo the dryer vent but have successfully done a load of laundry in my new (to me) house.

Feels good to get that out.
    Yea. Houses suck.

Currently our first chimney is torn down to the eaves, when they finish that the top 7 courses of the other (bigger) one get redone with a new cap. Then the entire roof gets re-shingled. 30 squares. Yay. Oh and a not small portion gets re-sheathed, too.

Then I can start getting quotes for fixing the water damage (ceilings...).

Meanwhile I'm finally finishing the War of the Beige. When we moved in back in 2014 the ENTIRE HOUSE had been hosed down in "Harmonic Tan". It's a literally oppressive dark beige with an olive drab tint to it. We painted all the bedrooms and gathering spaces within the first few months but didn't do the laundry room or closets... That's changing now. Laundry Room is amazing looking, really happy with it. Did my closet this past weekend and now starting on the wife's. Son's room (and other two bedrooms) will be next. If I can find an economical organizer system for the kitchen closets those will be all that's left until the abomination has been purged.

Things are looking up, only a few months left in my term as president of the HOA!
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    man, i just bought my 3rd NA 1.6 ... this time fully built for STS autocross. its still nominally a street car ... but just goes to confirm just how bad a "race car for the street" really is. i mean a proper race car like my spec miata is total garbage at anything other than wheel to wheel racing, this STS car is next to totally useless as well, despite nominally still being a car. its not the super stiff springs, it has some pretty baller shocks on it to keep the ride nice, its the race seat, the full poly/delrin bushings, solid motor mounts (ugg), super touchy clutch, and it even has a cat back, but the drone is terrible ....

she is fast though, last two events my codriver in it has been the fastest car (excluding go-karts etc). i was only 2 tenths off him at the last one too. freaking pulls too, easly 15 more hp than either of my other two miatas (makes sense cuase more mods are allowed by the rules).

love the car, but another reminder on the road of "purpose built cars are actually only good for what they were purpose built for"
    Similar, but very different. Drove a completely hot 2019 RF Club w/Brembo/BBS package last weekend. My goodness, the want is incredibly strong.
    OlllllllO

I'm interested to see what the concrete experts here think: https://www.nexusnewsfeed.com/articl...searchers-say/

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I'm interested to see what the concrete experts here think: https://www.nexusnewsfeed.com/articl...searchers-say/
    "The new material * made by combining ordinary cement with nano platelets extracted from carrots tossed out by the food industry * is resistant to cracks, and stands at up to 80 percent stronger than the conventional product." that is one hell of a claim.

I think I mentioned the self healing concrete research earlier I don't think he used bacteria harvested from carrots but it is interesting to see where this research is heading, and how easily accessible it will be.

I am not sure about it replacing the cement as it currently sits, from what I remembered the bacteria took a much longer time to create a pozzolan than would be acceptable in the modern industry currently.

Insider
    in the absence of any peer reviewed data i assume it's like any of the research on CNT reinforced materials.

eg https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jnm/2016/1421959/

The bugaboo of course is that they use inexpensive/free biological feedstock, and then generally go through economically unlikely routes to the carbonized material.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Actually, I found an article dated back to 2015: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nt_Replacement

I also find this stuff pretty cool: http://www.framcos.org/FraMCoS-6/164.pdf
    Last edited by ironyusa; 10-22-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Insider
    "The new material * made by combining ordinary cement with nano platelets extracted from carrots tossed out by the food industry * is resistant to cracks, and stands at up to 80 percent stronger than the conventional product." that is one hell of a claim.

I think I mentioned the self healing concrete research earlier I don't think he used bacteria harvested from carrots but it is interesting to see where this research is heading, and how easily accessible it will be.
    The bacteria and self healing is separate from the strengthening process. You can actually make concrete objects with just sand, water and the bacteria. It is rather brilliant. There was an artist who was making chairs with that process. Who uses urine. https://www.dezeen.com/2014/02/08/st...peter-trimble/

Now nano platelets most likely could be harvested from several food wastes, and there has been research into also using nano cellulose also: file:///C:/Users/jcoray/Downloads/A%20REVIEW%20ON%20EFFECT%20OF%20NANO%20CELLULOSE%2 0ON%20CONCRETE-1963.pdf

We were able to make some very high strength concrete using Grace Admixtures by radically reducing water, and 12,000psi concrete for table tops and counters is fairly easy to make. My father in law does it as a side job. So you could reduce the concrete if you used admixtures properly also, since most just need to nail 3000 psi in 28 days. We were hitting the machine testing limit of 26,000 psi in 28 days.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com