Page 7 of 418 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I am running Go Pro camera mounts on the lathe right now and it's crazy how much scrap I make. Something like 96% of the original stock ends up in the scrap bin... lots of chips out of a 2" diameter bar to end up with a lightweight ring of aluminium
    Do you have autofeed that makes this amazingly efficient compared to doing a first op with a better shaped material on the mill and finishing on the lathe? I imagine the set it and forget it aspect far outweighs any other option when it comes to your time, but shaving 96% sounds like a lot of effort and time. I guess if the mill is running non-stop with bodies as well, then you have things as idea as you can have them.

We shut down from the 24th to the 5th. We don't take most of the bankers' holidays through the year though. They take that day worked and tack it onto the year-end break. Sucks when everyone is off but you during the year, but by taking 2 days off before the 24th, you can have 2 solid weeks off (paid), which is pretty awesome.

I don't have a bar feed, but I have a bar puller in the machine. I can load a 4' bar and it runs non stop for 44 pieces

If I were to do it on a mill, it would require at least two sets ups, require blanks to be cut, and require a lot of human time. It's way more efficient in the lathe!

Rumor has it I need to find myself a small lathe. Funny how the world works out. One silly little idea (or six silly little ideas) turns into "honey, I need more tools".

You can never have enough tools.

Then you need tools to feed your other tools... and then tools to work on those tools...

It's like a sickness... but one we'd actively go out and seek.

Random ramblings for today ;

-I particularly enjoy how everyone ignores cockerpunk now on this forum.
    -Abrams stat trek was entertaining but he dumbed it down. ST has been moving farther and farther away from Roddenberrys vision for a while now.
    -Probably not a good idea to leave me on the phone for so long with Emily unsupervised. Just say'n.
    -I think it will be soon that im just going to give Simon direct acces to my bank account. Things will go faster that way.
    -the amount of damage I did last weekend at a big game with a warp fed mech rt was amazing even to me. Its a huge advantage when properly utilized. Too bad it weighs 500 lbs. It woud be great to see the concept revisited someday (hint hint)

My $. 02 for the week
    BigEvilOnline.com - Home of the bad, bad automag people.

Insider
    I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR UBERLOADER OVERLORD.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    -Abrams stat trek was entertaining but he dumbed it down. ST has been moving farther and farther away from Roddenberrys vision for a while now.
    Moving away from Roddenberry was a good move.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You can never have enough tools.

Then you need tools to feed your other tools... and then tools to work on those tools...

Then you need a bigger shop for all your tools. We are contemplating expanding our shop because we are running out of room for all my toys... I mean machinery.